55 hours post-op

deniseselah
on 5/8/14 8:30 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

As my good friend would say ... "And so it begins!" Beginning a whole new exciting chapter of my life.

All I remember about surgery Tues is falling asleep and waking up in my room. My friend told me I was in quite a bit of pain in the recovery room - so much pain that he was worried, and a nurse quickly stepped in with pain meds. But that is to be expected I guess? I don't remember any of that - so thankful that I don't remember!

Later that day, as I was coming to and feeling pain, I had the "What on God's green earth have I DONE to myself??" thought several times. I had a pain pump button which helped immensely. And ice chips. Sucking on ice chips. I tried to suck on two at once and it hurt! Learned my lesson - one at a time. Was excited when I burped for the first time! I did a little walking that afternoon - maybe 25 steps down the hall and back.

That night some very nice friends came (one at a time) to check on me - I know I fell asleep while one was there! Feel bad about that but I know I needed my rest. Had 2 of them pray with me which was wonderful.

My very sweet nurse woke me up every 2 hours all through the night for vitals. So needless to say I had no rest.

Insurance characterized the procedure as a "23-hour-stay" but I could not pass urine right away and felt a little lightheaded. So they gave me some (vile!!!!!!!!!!) liquid potassium and let me sleep. That did the trick. I woke up 90 min later, passed urine, got my discharge instructions, and headed home!

So, so happy to be home.

I live alone so my friend stayed with me overnight. Getting across a queen size bed after surgery is just insanity. Early in the morning I went to sleep sitting up in a chair - so much better.

I am sore and have medicine for pain that I took on a schedule Wed, but do not need as bad today (Thurs). I ventured to the end of the block and was exhausted ... on the way back I realized I have not had a single calorie since 9 p.m. Monday!

The thought and smell of food made me want to puke Tues and Wed, but trying a cream soup seems tolerable tomorrow. I'm only sore when I move from sitting to standing and vice versa.

That about sums it up. So far, so good :)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/10/14 10:40 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congrats!, welcome to the losers bench!, have a speedy recovery & get your liquids in. I'm a couple of weeks post-op, it will get better!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

deniseselah
on 5/12/14 12:26 pm - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

thank you!

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

RRach
on 5/14/14 5:25 am

That was the most realistic day after surgery I have ever read. Good luck on your journey!!

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

deniseselah
on 5/14/14 9:38 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks so much! In the middle I was like 'oh, crap ... !!' .... and everyone told me 'hang in there - it will get better.'

And it did!

I really do feel a little better every day! It was no walk in the park, but it was doable and really gets better.

Most Active