8 Month Progress

jenorama
on 6/18/14 5:02 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Since surgery in October, I've lost 114.7 lbs!  I'm down from 348 to 233.3.  This is officially the most weight I've ever lost.  I did HMR in 2008 and lost 104 lbs on that program, but gained it all back plus another 30.  I'm not the lightest I've ever been--that's 214 lbs, but I'm getting there.  :D

I started out with a BMI of 54.5 and I'm down to 36.5.  My surgeon required a sleep test and I did show as having pretty severe sleep apnea, but that was my only comorbidity.  It's a startling realization that I probably wouldn't even qualify for the surgery under my insurance now.  I've been seeing a chiropractor for monthly maintenance since a sciatica episode 12 years ago and my back and shoulder pain problems are greatly diminished.  Moving around is generally easier, I have more energy, I've started yoga and I'm looking forward to an active summer.  I even sat in the middle seat in coach!  And it wasn't awful!  Like a lot of people, I wish I'd followed through with the surgery 4 years ago, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it.  

It feels awesome to be able to shop in regular stores and to go through the boxes of smaller things I'd stored away.  I'm able to wear a pair of size 18 jeans I bought from the Gap in 2008 and I can even wear my size 10 boots again.  Unisex XL t-shirts are starting to look a little big and ladies  XL are just about right.  I have my eye on the pile of size 16 jeans I have in my closet.  

There are so many inspiring people on these boards and I just wanted to share a little bit of myself on this board for people who might be full of doubt and think there's no way it could happen for them.  I didn't think it would, either.  I don't truly know how much more weight I'll lose and I know keeping it off will be a long road, but I read the advice of the veterans on the board and take it one day at a time.  Surgery is not a thing to consider lightly, but it's definitely the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.  I have no problem telling people I've had surgery and I have yet to get a negative reaction.  We'll see how long that lasts!  :D

Thanks for reading!  :D

Jen

Gwen M.
on 6/18/14 8:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How fantastic!  What great success you've achieved.  Good job!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/24/14 4:21 am

Awesome work! Congratulations

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active