Is there hope?

Brooke_75
on 7/6/14 3:52 am - Canada

Hi everyone.  I am new here.  I am hoping there is someone out there who was or is in a similar situation as me.  Of course we are all here about our weight but our stories are all different. 

My weight has sky rocketed to its highest its ever been.  I am from Oshawa Ontario (outside of Toronto) 162cm (5 foot 3) and weigh 443lbs and im 38 yrs old.  My doctor sent in the referral to the bariatric center earlier this year and a few months later they sent me a package in the mail letting me know my information session is booked for this Sept/14.  I am at a point were I can only work 1 day a week for 4 hours, and when I come home I am in so much pain in my back and legs because of my weight.  I thankfully do not have any other health conditions, my blood work is good, cholesterol lvls are normal and so is my blood pressure.  My doctor was amazed but she said its only a matter of time before that all changes unless I loss the weight. 

I have been researching and reading up on the surgeries and what is covered by OHIP here in Canada.  I was so happy to learn that if I choose the VSG that I wanted, that it will be covered by OHIP thank god.  I understand about the life changes that will demand from me, and I am ready for it.  I am done punishing myself, I just want to be free.  But because I live alone, and have to be supplemented by Social Assistance which is now called Ontario Works, they will not cover the costs of the pre liquid diet that is required before I get my surgery.  They wont even help with the vitamins that also a requirement.  After I am done paying my rent and paid all my other bills I have less then $90 for food & any other needs, for the month.  So I end up going to our local food shelter each month.

This has left me tears off and on for days because I finally thought....for a moment that there was hope.  But now its looking more like a pipe dream.  Has anyone else been in this situation financially and gone through this process?  Is there any kind of outside organization or help of any kind that might be out there that can help me pay for the pre op diet?  I just don't know what else to do.  I feel so trapped, and now it feels like there is no hope for me.

civilmomma
on 7/7/14 12:58 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Explain your situation to your primary doc, bariatric clinic, and nutritionist - they may be able to get you enough samples of protein and vitamins to make a good financial impact.  Protein supplements aren't too crazy expensive if you shop at a target/walmart type store.  You can buy generic. 

That is tough.  Remember that you will not need groceries when you are on the 10-14 day liquid pre-op diet, so you will only need the protein supplements - and after surgery you won't need much groceries either.  Not sure if you have this option, but could you put some of the before-surgery needs on credit knowing that after surgery your food bill will be greatly reduced and you'll be able to work more as you loose weight - freeing up the money to pay off the debt?

I don't know what kind of work you do, but is there a modified option where you could have a sitting job and be able to work more hours a week prior to having surgery?

I truly hope you find a way to make surgery work...it really is a life changer.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Brooke_75
on 7/7/14 4:26 am - Canada
On July 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM Pacific Time, civilmomma wrote:

Explain your situation to your primary doc, bariatric clinic, and nutritionist - they may be able to get you enough samples of protein and vitamins to make a good financial impact.  Protein supplements aren't too crazy expensive if you shop at a target/walmart type store.  You can buy generic. 

That is tough.  Remember that you will not need groceries when you are on the 10-14 day liquid pre-op diet, so you will only need the protein supplements - and after surgery you won't need much groceries either.  Not sure if you have this option, but could you put some of the before-surgery needs on credit knowing that after surgery your food bill will be greatly reduced and you'll be able to work more as you loose weight - freeing up the money to pay off the debt?

I don't know what kind of work you do, but is there a modified option where you could have a sitting job and be able to work more hours a week prior to having surgery?

I truly hope you find a way to make surgery work...it really is a life changer.

Thank you so much for your reply, it really means a lot to me that you took the time to suggest all you did.  Those are great tips.  I do have a question tho,,,,the pre op diet...does that HAVE to be the shakes that everyone gets from the surgeon or doctors?  Will they allow me to buy them else where if I can get it cheaper?  I have seen other ppl sell the left overs they have before thee due date so they dont lose out on so much money. 

civilmomma
on 7/7/14 6:34 am, edited 7/7/14 6:42 am
VSG on 03/07/14

My pre-op diet was all store-bought stuff.  My clinic does not sell protein products. 

They gave a list of suggested protein sources and honestly, they catered to reasonable budgets...like skim milk plus sugar free carnation instant breakfast was an OK option on their list.  The brands sold in grocery stores were on there too plus the generic protein from target/walmart is ok too.  Of course you can get higher quality protein at health/supplement stores (isolate is better than concentrate - but it costs more) or powders with "natural" calorie free sweetners like splenda and stevia - they are nice but not necessary.

Check your messages on here...I will send you a pdf of the list they gave me.

My plan did not require specific products - some doctors do make you do a prescription type plan - but if that is not affordable for you - don't be ashamed to ask for an acceptable alternative (or samples!)

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Brooke_75
on 7/7/14 12:27 pm - Canada

Oh wow that's great to know.  I have been stressing for days over this.  You have helped calm my nerves lol.  Thanks for the info and the private message.  I have saved it and I'm going to print it off so I can keep it with me when I go shopping.  If I can plan this all out ahead of time, then I know exactly what I can and cant do financially.  Your an angel.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/7/14 1:43 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I wanted to reiterate what the previous poster has said.  I bought many kinds of protein that were very inexpensive for the pre-op diet.  Don't despair!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

startingmynewlife
on 7/7/14 2:03 pm

In Ontario you must go on Opti-Fast, which you get from your bariatric surgeon (its a prescription) - three weeks costs $300, which you will get a tax receipt for. I would suggest setting aside $10 a week if you can to start saving. I will be all done my Opti on Wednesday PM and will have probably 10 packs left, I would be happy to give it to you (although I would need to double check the exp date, I think it is sometime in 2015 - which might be before your surgery). I do remember in my first meeting they did say you are responsible for costs that are associated and that there was no gov't body that could offset the fees associated with surgery - there is travel to the clinic for your meetings with the dietician/social worker (not sure if you live close by or not).

If you want this bad enough, and I believe that you do, start making the changes you want now. Start increasing your water, going for small walks, eat low carb/high protein. You need to show the clinic that you want this and that this will change your life.

Good luck - if you want it - it will be yours. :)

Zavz
on 7/31/14 10:51 pm - Canada

Hi Brook,  

I live in Toronto and I have lots of stuff left over as I bought waaaay too much trying to be prepared and vitamins that I don't like. And loads of clothes that don't fit me anymore that you could have if you want to come pick them up? If interested PM me and I will give you my email address. 

Carrie. 

Most Active