The long and short of it

knolmom
on 11/12/14 1:42 pm

I have also posted in the RNY forum so you may have read my story. I started this journey in early Sept by attending the Dr's seminar. Having WLS was like a dream come true, something I never thought would happen. I was always on the chubby side and retired in 2000 weighing about 195. Added 25 lbs of good living in retirement. In 2007 I had a serious fall, severely injuring my knee which required surgery to try and make my kneecap whole again. Not only were they barely able to make a suitable repair in 2 surgeries but I had cardiac consequences and also developed pneumonia in the days after surgery and rehab. Was in a wheelchair for almost a year, and then a walker , and on came 70 more pounds, puting me at 310 @ 5'3". Have had mobility and cardiac issues since. 

While my DH was very sick this summer in a major NYC teaching hospital, I began having chest pains. They did a cardiac cath and found my heart was better than ever, my lungs had improved and the pain was probably stress related as I am very dependent on my DH to help me out. What would happen if I lost him. It would be very difficult to care for myself, not to mention caring for him if he did not recover. I also learned they did high risk WLS, so now that my heart and lung issues were improving, count me in. Someone up there led me to this, now I hope he gets me through this.

i was very disappointed when I learned my surgery would not be until mid January. More trouble walking in the ice and snow. By some miracle, the hospital called yesterday and asked me if I could do it December 3. I would be there today if I could. I am happy I started my pre surgery diet 2 weeks ago instead of waiting for the required participation 2 weeks prior to surgery. It was suggested to do this if you have a high BMI. I have already dropped some weight. Ask me how I know since I threw out my scale years ago....my underwear is getting bigger. It was pinching and binding just 2 weeks ago and I am comfortable now. Can't wait to get to the loser's bench.

Patty T.
on 11/12/14 1:50 pm - Boalsburg, PA

I'm so glad you found us. And how exciting is it that you are going early! Woo hoo! And I love your underwear as a measuring device. 

PS - I'm totally jealous that you won't have to walk on ice and snow. I had to reschedule my welcome group appointment from tomorrow to next week due to expected icy weather.

knolmom
on 11/13/14 12:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Patty. I need every bit of it. Since you appear to have a sense of humor, I will share with you, in case you did not see it on the VGS board, about the person who has their NSV moment...they were able to cross their legs. People on this forum have questions about caring for the caboose after surgery. I will be very happy when my first VSG moment is that I can wipe my a$$ without using an appliance that I bought online. For some reason, I don't think I'll be publishing online though!

Patty T.
on 11/19/14 12:59 am - Boalsburg, PA

I've considered just such an appliance, but am OK so far. Great NSV. :-)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/13/14 10:38 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hi there!  I am so happy that your surgery has been moved up.  My son's (my miracle baby!) birthday is the 3rd -- so, I personally think that a very lucky day.  

BTW, you aren't the only one who's had the butt-wiping issue.  Truthfully, it had gotten so bad for me, that I often just took a shower after a BM... used the handheld shower head.  I will confess, that typing that has brought tears to my eyes -- because it's hard to believe how many indignities I endured being super morbidly obese.  I am happy to report that not only is this no longer an issue, but I can also cross my legs easily.  

So, just know that you aren't alone-- and there's tons of encouragement here for you.  You have so much to look forward to!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/17/14 4:31 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I did the same thing.  I bought several different types of devices to help with the butt wiping issue, but I never felt clean enough.  I resorted to showering and using the handheld shower head.  I was always in a state of anxiety if we traveled somewhere and I didn't have access to a shower head like that.  It's one of the most ego-deflating experiences of my life.

This is not something many people like to discuss because it is so embarrassing.  My biggest fear was what would I do after I had surgery and couldn't shower or easily bend around.  It's one of the reasons that motivated me to have surgery because I didn't want to need someone to wipe my ass because I was so fat.

My fear of seatbelts, booths in restaurants and toilet habits are all gone.  It's a major improvement in the quality of my mental health not to have major anxiety over these things.  This surgery can absolutely change your life for the better in ways you never even imagined.    

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Patty T.
on 11/19/14 1:03 am - Boalsburg, PA

I had pop into the shower just yesterday for butt clean up. Americans need to embrace the bidet.

knolmom
on 11/19/14 11:59 am

Thanks to all of you for your kind and forthright comments. The time is flying bye quickly. I drove home from Florida to NY via Charlotte over the last 4 days, visiting friends and relatives that my husband and I have not seen in a year or two or five. It was pretty easy for me to keep to my semi fast, having 2 shakes a day plus 6oz lean protein and a cup of greens each day. I am very happy I started the diet in advanceofthe final toe weeks as my NUT suggests that for high BMI folks. I cheat occasionally. With unsalted saltines and, last night, I had a small cup of Wendy's Chili to see how it tastes. My NzuT recommends this as one of the starter foods, puréed. I liked what little of it I ate. I went to my pulmonologist tonight and got clearance. Tomorrow morning I see my CRdiologist for her final clearance. Had a Cardiac Cath in August and I was clear and my ejection fraction improved. I have been using oxygen every night while I sleep to improve my breathing. I am doing everything I can to improve my chances of an excellent outcome, both health wise and weight wise.

i have been away for 3 weeks now. I fit comfortably into two different chairs in my Dr office. Small victory, but a start.

Most Active