Plateau?

AuroraBorellis
on 1/13/15 7:37 am

I'm 10 weeks out of RNY tomorrow. I weight 397 before surgery, 411 at discharge (water weight) and have plateaued at 360. First of all, I'm blessed to have lost as much as I have, but I've been stuck at 360 for weeks now and am very sad. 

I had a lot of difficulty eating/ drinking after surgery, and now that is much better, so I feel like I could try a diet free of 'bad' food choices (carbs) that I relied on because my stomach couldn't handle very many foods. Also, because my stomach was in such pain, I had to stop taking all of my medications for my Lyme disease (I take nearly 20 pills a day.), so my Lyme disease is back to being terrible and I'm in excruciating pain, so please don't tell me to exercise-- I can barely walk to the bathroom it hurts so bad.

Anyway, thanks for listening, but my question is, is this plateau normal? Do I just need a bit of a diet push to help get over it?

Thank you for your help.

Patty T.
on 1/14/15 5:20 am - Boalsburg, PA

I can't answer many of your questions, but are you taking your measurements as well as tracking weight? I've found that I can lose inches even when the weight is not budging, so I don't get so disappointed when the scale isn't moving.

Are you back to being able to take your Lyme meds? If not, can you get an Rx for something to help your tummy?

ald731
on 1/14/15 11:10 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

Exercise is great for fitness, but weight loss is almost entirely what you eat/drink. You HAVE to cut out the carbs. You say that you can only handle certain foods - so then eat the proteins that DO work for you. Focus on protein and fats with no sugar or starches.  Stalls are normal, but if you're stalling for weeks on end then you need to tighten up your diet. You should also drink lots of water - a minimum of 64oz and aim for more like 100oz. It will get better and easier the further out you are, but incorporating lots of carbs at this point is a really bad idea.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

Most Active