Swimming for exercise!

Linda L.
on 4/28/15 11:12 am
RNY on 02/17/15

I started swimming about 3 weeks ago and taking water aerobics. Yesterday for the first time in my life I swam a mile!! I have found swimming to be a wonderful way to reintroduce my body to exercise! I have been in physical therapy due to some back issues and I was concerned that because I couldn't walk distance my weight loss would stall. But instead of making excuses I found a solution that works for me. I lost 5 pounds since last week for a total of 63 pounds. My BMI was 56 pre surgery. We can do anything we set our minds to!!!

paflyersgal
on 4/29/15 12:34 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Congrats on your loss!! 

About 10 years ago I slipped on some ice and hurt my back pretty bad. I had a hard time walking for about 6 months. I needed a cane and everything. The doctors ordered be to do aquatic PT . It was the best thing I ever did!! Now I am waiting to open my pool for the summer to get that aquatic exercise in! I asked the nutritionist at my WLC about the whole exercise issue. She said the best start of able is aquatic, so I am excited for that! 

I'm so glad that you are able to do it now! I only have a few more weeks until I open up my pool for the summer so it'll be great! 

Keep ip the great work and I look forward to following your progress!! Again congrats!!

Karen

Linda L.
on 4/29/15 3:37 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Karen

Thank you for your support! I went again today and did a mile and water aerobics. I am not back to work so I see the exercise and pt to be my job so I can progress and get back to living! Good luck to you too!! I LOVE my pool time!

MeltingMindyLoo
on 4/29/15 9:40 pm - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

Congratulations, Linda.  That sounds wonderful.  I'm glad you're having so much fun with your new activity.

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

Linda L.
on 4/29/15 11:13 pm
RNY on 02/17/15

Thanks Mindy!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/4/15 8:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Swimming is my favorite exercise.  I'm waiting for our pool to warm.  It's just hitting 80 degrees now and that's still a little chilly for me.

One of the vets recommended these water bar bells to use in the pool.  They're great for resistance training.

Bell

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Linda L.
on 5/4/15 12:38 pm
RNY on 02/17/15

Oh I've used those at my water aerobics class. They give me quite a work out!! Thank you for your response and suggestions 

Little_One_Within
on 5/9/15 9:09 am

Congratulations..!! :) Your post brought a smile..! I looooOOve swimming!! It is really a wonderful way to reintroduce your body to exercise and I see you did get some awesome results here..!! That's fantastic, super happy for you!! :)

Linda L.
on 5/9/15 9:36 am
RNY on 02/17/15

Thank you for your response!  I've been swimming a mile 3 times a week! The inches are melting as my body tones up. I have started looking for a gym w a pool. 

Patty T.
on 5/20/15 12:50 pm - Boalsburg, PA

I'm also a swimmer. I think it's the only thing that has kept me out of a wheelchair. I had also worked up to a mile but had hurt my left knee on 2 flights of stairs, so I cut back to 50 minutes (a mile takes me 70 min).

I can get back into the water 10 days after surgery to water walk, but no swimming or water aerobics until 3 weeks. Although I don't expect to feel much like exercising vigorously right away - LOL!

Most Active