My first initial visit

The_DreadLoc_Prince
ss

on 12/14/15 7:07 pm, edited 12/14/15 7:08 pm

Hey guys!! I'm new to OH and I'm just starting my weight loss journey!!! I just scheduled my first initial visit with my surgeon which will be on the 29th.. And I just wanted to know what should I expect in the first visit? I know of we'll talk about the type of surgery I will want... I'm actually torn between getting the sleeve and the rny.. I'm not sure of my weight yet, I haven't weigh myself.. But I'm guessing I'm close to 400 and I'm only 5'2.. So i was gonna leave that up to the doctor.. But what else should I expect? 

Thanks for any comments 

KeishaLeigh
on 12/15/15 7:25 am - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

Welcome! I went to Mexico so my experience is totally different than you will have so I'm not sure what to tell you for the appointment.

For the type of surgery, I recommend reading everything you can here. You will see the good, bad, and ugly. It helped me tremendously. This is a great place to learn and ask questions. Good luck!

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Laura in Texas
on 12/15/15 8:46 am

Please do your own research. Some surgeons have a preference based upon what surgery they like performing and not based on what is best for each individual patient.

Also, with your BMI I think you should also research the DS.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/15/15 1:31 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On December 15, 2015 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

Please do your own research. Some surgeons have a preference based upon what surgery they like performing and not based on what is best for each individual patient.

Also, with your BMI I think you should also research the DS.

I agree completely.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

alouisa63
on 12/15/15 6:03 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Fun little fact:  My insurance won't cover DS.  Isn't that wonderful?  RNY , VSG  or lapband.  Even if I had wanted it, not an option using insurance.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Laura in Texas
on 12/15/15 6:55 pm

Many do not cover the DS but some people have fought their insurance companies over this and have won.

I am happy with my RNY but I think the sleeve and DS are good choices, too, and people should research all their options.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/22/15 2:46 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On December 16, 2015 at 2:03 AM Pacific Time, alouisa63 wrote:

Fun little fact:  My insurance won't cover DS.  Isn't that wonderful?  RNY , VSG  or lapband.  Even if I had wanted it, not an option using insurance.

Mine didn't either and I am happy with my RNY.  That doesn't mean the OP's insurance doesn't cover one

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/15/15 9:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Definitely do your own research & determine what is best for you. You should also take a hard look at your dieting past. Were you able to lose by just restricting only, or was every pound a struggle no matter what you did. Each surgery has its own pros & cons. The sleeve is a restrictive only procedure, while the rny & ds are restrictive & malabsorption procedures.

Try going to a seminar where you can learn all of them & maybe meet wl patients. I'm guessing at your appointment you will talk about your medical history, current medical condition. Dieting history, insurance, what you expect from the procedure and what he expects for you as a result of the procedure. Usually I'd guess you'll get & do a lot of paperwork.  

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

The_DreadLoc_Prince
ss

on 12/16/15 10:31 pm

Thanks you guys for your comments I really appreciate it... The surgeon I'm going to doesn't do the DS.. I've never even heard of the DS till I joined this website.. Before joining the website I had decided on getting the sleeve done but after reading and researching things on this website I've become torn between the two.. I've read that those who's BMI is high (50+) have to get the RNY but I've read some who's was high but they gotten the sleeve done... I'm just so confused... 

As as far as dieting I've never done well because I never had help with what to eat, how much to eat.. So I always ended up sick because I wasn't properly doing it right.. Which is one of the reasons I choose a weight loss program... I need to be taught what to eat and how much to eat... I chose to do the surgery because I'm so heavy and I need the extra help to lose the weight I've gained.. 

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 12/17/15 2:33 pm
WLS on 12/29/15

Congrats on starting the journey!

I had my first visit in July ( I think...June or July...) this year, so I remember what you're going through right now! (Fun Fact: Your first appointment is on the 29th, my surgery is on the 29th!)

This process will fly by and before you know it, you will be on your preop diet getting ready for surgery. 

So what happened at my first visit?

We weighed. We measured. I filled out a "what am I eating/exercise" profile (which I had to do every time I came in). We did my BMI. Then I visited with the Physicians Assistant and we talked about my options. I came in having done a lot of research and talking with my coworkers, friends and family who had had surgery. I knew i wanted the lap band or the sleeve--my dad convinced me to do the sleeve after presenting me with several research articles (we're nurses, so we have free access to medical journal articles). 

My PA gave me a detailed description of lap band and the sleeve. He gave me pro's and cons of each and even had two mannequins of the abdomen to show me. I presented my questions and then I was given a big book and packet regarding each surgery. I didn't have to decide that day which surgery. 

My second appointment we weighed and I talked with a nutritionist about my diet and met with the PA who just did his routine assessment and asked me if I had questions or concerns. I was also scheduled to meet with a psychologist which is required by 99.99999999% of insurance companies. 

My third appointment we weighed and met the nutritionist again and with the PA. This appointment took about 3 hours because we also did a lot of tests. I did a breathing test, heart test, lab work was drawn and I honestly can't remember what else. But it took a long time...being a nurse, it was fun to do it though and see my EKG results and know what was going on with my heart! 

My fourth appointment I had gained weight(Thanksgiving happened....). So I talked with the PA, nutritionist and my representative (who is awesome! and like my personal cheerleader!). I had to be put on the preop diet 3 weeks before I should've had to start it. My insurance denied the surgery because of the weight gain. I had about 2 weeks to lose the weight. 

5th appointment. I lost the weight plus some! Met with the PA. Scheduled my surgery. 

6th appointment. Met the surgeon at his office. Went over preop diet, meds, assessment, what to expect etc. 

7th appointment. Surgery! (on Dec 29th). 

You can do this! Do the research. Start making little changes now (switch from full fat dressing to low fat then to no fat. Switch from lemonade to crystal light lemon, switch from full fat milk to 2% etc).  It will make surgery easier.

Most Active