SA79’s Posts

SA79
on 1/16/18 2:15 pm
Topic: RE: Lost my first BMI point!

Hey, thanks for the welcome and for your response. :)

Thanks for the advice, too. I've literally already made every change on your first list: no junk food or simple carbs, I'm on my fitness pal, I don't drink with meals anymore, no alcohol, more water (and green tea), no pop, and actually no coffee, either. I'd meant to cut it out before, anyway, so - boom.

As for your other suggestions, thanks! I know it's only been a week, but I'm actually sort of surprised that I'm not finding it more difficult. I think I probably will more like three weeks in, but in the past when I've made other big decisions or changes (leaving a boyfriend, quitting smoking, etc), I've always gone cold turkey and been able to stick to it. I'm extremely stubborn and I'm not afraid of my willpower giving out on me. I think I always knew in my heart that I would find a rock bottom, a day when I would look at myself in the mirror and say, okay, this is the limit. I refuse to get any bigger than this. Having someone else (my doctor) suggest WLS brought that day on. Somehow, in my twisted perception of things, I always thought that WLS was only for those people who need cranes to get off the couch or something and that I was nowhere near that point. I mean, I walk about 5 km per day, swim for an hour 1-2x per week, play on occasional sports teams, etc. I had no idea that people with BMIs under 40 ever got this sort of surgery. Then again, I also had no idea that I weighed as much as I did, so - I'm ruefully coming to terms with the notion that my self-perception was off, much as I hate to admit it. But I'm here now, and doing the thing, and committing to doing it more or less forever, so... there it is. I'm getting my head on straight now.

I have to do this on my own for the first six months. I can't afford a therapist and I live in a place that doesn't speak my language, and I just don't want to do this in a second language. If I can get down 4 more BMI points in the next six months, I'll be moving back to my home province and will hopefully then qualify for the surgery at a hospital there (they require your BMI to be between 40-55), and that whole deal comes with counselling and groups and information sessions, etc. I just have to get myself there, and with this community's support, I think I can do it! So thanks again for answering! :)

SA79
on 1/15/18 8:30 pm
Topic: RE: Lost my first BMI point!

So, I'm new here and only JUST started my weight loss journey with a scary doctor's appointment on December 29th, the day before my 38th birthday. I was on vacation until January 10th, so I decided that I would start my 1,200 calorie diet the day I got back to my regular life, on the 11th. It's been 5 days of gentle starvation now (lol, I jest, I jest) and I've lost 2 lbs and 1 BMI point! The latter is actually because I must have been right at the borderline between two points already, since I don't think that 2 lbs would change it that quickly, but still! This is the first step on what's going to be a very long journey, and I'm stoked. :)

Most Active