Breast Cancer and WLS, got the ok. I'm so excited!

DeeDee M.
on 6/8/11 11:27 am - WI
I got the all clear from my Oncologist today that I can proceed with my surgery plans.  I'm far enough out that all shoud be ok.  Still have to have CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis to make sure nothing's there.
DeeDee
thinandsassy
on 6/17/11 1:55 pm
I am just starting radiation treatments for breast cancer.  I had two lumpectomies and partial lymph node removal.  I had just finished my six months of weight loss classes and had all the medical tests I needed.  The last test I had was my mammogram. They found breast cancer (ductal carcinoma)  I still want to have a vertical sleeve, but don't know how long I will have to wait now.  The surgeon says he believes he got all the cancer.  How long did you have to wait for your Oncologist to approve your weight loss surgery?   Was there certain criteria?  Any info would be great. 
DeeDee M.
on 6/18/11 3:24 am - WI
Best to check with your Oncologist but I can tell you about my situation.  I had to be in remission for two yrs to get my doctors approval.  In some cases it could be longer.  My doc said the first two yrs were critical for me and the chance of recurrance. I got the approval but before I can actually have WLS  I must have a CT scan of my chest, abdomen and pelvis to make sure the cancer hasn't snuck back in those areas.  Doc doesn't think it has but wants to make sure. 

I was lucky as I found the lump in my left breast.  Went to doc, MRI showed the cancer was not contained to the tumor, and had spread to other tissue .  Another test showed the cancer had just started going into the lymph nodes  The MRI also showed three more tumors in my right breast that were deep in the breast.  I chose to have a double mastectomy and chemotherapy, didn't have to do radiation because of the surgery.  My doctor did an Ocotype DX test to determine my rate of reccurance.  I landed in the upper 90 percent of the scale so I was glad that I chose to have the double mastectomy.  I still see my doctor every four months and have to take Arimidex for five years (I'm halfway there). 

I would not have been ready for WLS any sooner than now anyhow.  I've had 13 surgeries in the past 2 1/2 years, eight of which were for the cancer and reconstruction with complications.  Others were two knee surgeries, two wrist and one hand.  I've seen the inside of enough operating rooms to last me a lifetime.  My husband has been wonderful through it all but it's also been emotionally tough on him as well.

I highly recommend that you get in touch with The American Cancer Society as they have many resources available for anyone with cancer.  I have two grandchildren that were five and six when I was sick. The ACS gave me high quality activity books for each that helped explain why grandma was going to lose her hair, etc.  I didn't want the kids to be afraid of me when I looked like a martian.  They provided me with the most beautiful wig and two hats free of charge.  They also have a class called Look Good, Feel Better or Feel Good (can't remember exactly).  It to is  free of charge however you must register through ACS for it.

I wish you the best in your journey with the cancer.  The emotional ups and downs can be very hard to deal with so a good support system is important.  My family and friends were a wonderful support system however because none of them had dealt with cancer before they really didn't understand how and what I was going through.  With that being said, anytime you have a question or need to talk let me know, I would love to hear from you and how you're doing.  I truly believe in Guardian Angels and am more than happy to share mine with you.
DeeDee
sthepworth
on 10/30/11 9:12 am
I'm so glad to hear from both of you. I don't know if I'm exactly in your boat, yet, but I'm going through the same situation as the second person. I had a mammogram for the surgery, and now they are having to do a biopsy this Wednesday Morning. My surgery was scheduled for 5 days later. I just found out Friday, so I'm not really freaking , per se, but really concerned...and anxious. I'm going to see if I can re-schedule my surgery for the 14th, that way if the test results come back negative, I can go ahead with the surgery, and if it comes back positive, I guess I just cancel it?  But, I'm overweight, and I thought that you had a better chance of beating cancer if you were within 'acceptable' weight guidelines?  I'm not asking you, I guess I'm just thinking out loud.  Thanks for all your friendship.
Together In Faith            
DeeDee M.
on 10/30/11 9:45 am - WI
I hope all goes well for you and that you will be able to proceed with your WLS.  Please let me know how your results turn out.  I always feel a conection to anyone that's going through what you are right now.  Know that I'll be thinking of you daily.

My husband and I are both having surgery Tuesday Nov 8th, same doctor, one after the other.  It seemes like it took forever to get to this point but we finally did.  We had our pre-class this past Friday, pre-op physical this coming Wednesday , go to the hospital Nov 7th to have picc lines inserted and surgery the following day.  My husband has diabetes and I've had blood transfusions to our surgeon wants to be prepared for any bumps in the road.

I look forward to hearing how all goes for you.  Hugs, DeeDee
DeeDee
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 6:35 am - Joliet, IL
Dee Dee it sounds like you have had a lot of surgery.  I hope your WLS went well.  I also am a BC survivor .  I feel like I am getting my 3rd shot at life by haveing this WLS
DeeDee M.
on 11/20/11 12:04 pm - WI
Has your surgery been scheduled yet? How long ago did you have BC?

I had my surgery on Nov 8th and have already lost 20 pounds. My husband and I both had WLS, same day, same doc. I must say we were the talk of the hospital unit. Everyone found it awesome that we did it together. I ended up in the hospital longer than my husband as my hemoglobin was low when I was admitted and dropped even more during surgery. I ended up having three blood transfusions and trouble getting one of the incisions to quite bleeding. They finally removed the stri-strips and put stitches in. I'm feeling more like a human being with every new day and getting around better too. My knees and ankles were always swollen because of my arthritis and the swelling has gone away. Makes walking alot less painful. It's been interesting to see what change comes with every new day.

Take care, DeeDee
Most Active