Suggestions for a place to talk about being a caregiver?

lori B.
on 8/11/12 10:25 pm
I am one year out from RNY and am caring for my husband that has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  I have him home with the help of hospice.  I'm doing my best to take care of him, a 14 year old and a 5 year old.  My husband is only 42.  My problem is the carb beast is back, it's my drug of choice and I'm doing us all a disservice by not taking care of me.  But I feel out of control.  Looking for a forum for people with sort of issue.  Thanks  Lori
kdunn
on 8/13/12 10:52 am - Goodlettsville, TN
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.  Try adding some extra protein in place of the carbs.  Carbs are a really hard thing for me to not eat.  I have been trying to eat a small salad with some sweet pepper and a few baby carrot for the crunch.  If this what you are craving something cruch or salty or is bread, pasta and pototo?
Lisey
on 8/19/12 9:50 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
 I would suggest calling The Patient Advocacy Foundation.  I'm a cancer survivor & have had jobs where I'm the "advocate" for others.  What I like about this place is they will ask your questions about what your situation is & match up any resources from other organizations that may be helpful to you.  It's rather like a "one-stop-shop".  You can find multiple contacts for resources with just them.

Caregivers absolutely need support and it's not just about food, of course.  Though, as a WLS person, I understand that one too.

You might not find a forum for WLS people who are also caregivers, but you can get more resources to help so that you have a little more peace of mind that things are getting taken care of when you need to take some time for yourself - which you do!  There's nothing wrong with that!

I would also suggest that you find a caregiver support group in your local area.  I'm sure there are others who struggle with turning to food, or ciggies, or alcohol during these times also.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

iisme
on 8/26/12 7:49 am
I just wanted to let you know that my heart goes out to you. You are going through a very hard time and it's easy to let those comfort foods slip back in.
I would suggest making yourself a protein shake a couple times per day to thwart off any bad choices. I know when I do this it really helps.
Also, I would turn to your American Cancer Society. They have a wealth of information and help. This is why I relay so please go see them. They also helped me out tremendously while I was undergoing chemo for breast cancer a little less than 2 years ago.

10 pounds loss pre-op
mar212011
on 12/28/12 12:35 pm

I am almost 2 yrs out from having the sleeve in march, 2011.      I am a caretaker for my parents   80yr old mother and 83 yr old dad.     I am single 63 yr old recently retired .     I have a bad "habit" of grabbing cheese crackers  many times a day to get me by.  With all the doctors visits for them is hard at times.   Last week 4 doctor visits with each one having an hour drive to and from.      I had a lump come up on my neck.  Family physician sent me for ultra sound with the results showing 3x   1centimeter each cysts on my thyroid.   I am scheduled jan 15th with an endocoligist.     I am afraid.... but hanging in there.... Wondering about others that have had the same or similiar..... also open for any and all suggestions!!   thanks, Nancy

Most Active