My cat needs a gastric bypass himself- in NJ

sandynhercats
on 3/4/10 11:01 am - Frenchtown, NJ
It sounds almost too weird to be true, but my cat Gizmo's weight is astounding. He is 3 times the weight of any other cat I have and I don't know what 2 do. If he needs special care or expensive medication I'm just not able to deal with it. I have 7 other cats and Science Diet cat food down at all times. I nicknamed him "Gizzy Gourmet" when he was a kitten. I had to dropper feed him. He was abandoned along with his brother at 3 weeks of age by his mother. I'm disabled and on Medicare (not Medicaid). I'm not able to seperate him from the other cats to limit his food intake. Any ideas (outside of changing to a lite formula-I did)
FatReva
on 1/27/12 1:07 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
I have four cats; the oldest of them is just about 4 years old, the youngest isn't a year old yet. My two middle boys are brothers and one of them is... huge. He's easily 17 or 18 pounds while his genetic brother is maybe 14 pounds. The porky one, Pumbaa, seems to have food insecurity - if the bowl is empty, he comes to me and whines about it.

Since I have four, I can't manage their food intake by feeding at set times and not leaving food out. I've decided to try out "foraging feeder balls" - basically a ball that, when pushed and pawed around, drops food. It'll force the cats to be more active about getting their food. For my 'skinny' cats (the youngest and the oldest cats), this will be a cakewalk: those two already 'hunt' for food and will push a treats ball around to get treats. Pumbaa's brother, Timon, will likely catch on to the concept quickly.

Once the feeder balls arrive, I'll take up all of their food and just keep the balls filled with their normal food.

With seven cats in the household? hmm... it could work, as long as you keep an eye on everyone to make sure they're all getting food.

sandynhercats
on 1/30/12 7:28 am - Frenchtown, NJ
Where did you find these balls? I found 1 cardboard thingy, but it won't hold up with my terror cat! I weighed him a few days ago. It's a nightmare. 30 lbs! I have everyone up my behind expecting me to do something. What can I do with 7 cats? REALLY!? I think part is food insecurity like you but there is ALWAYS food down. It might be metabolic too. He was almost dead when he got to me. He's so heavy he can't groom himself. If I bathe him I have to go thru hell. I had NO IDEA cat bites were so bad. I got cellulitus in my hand which is very dangerous due to the bite I got with his last bath. Now there will be no full immersion.
FatReva
on 1/30/12 7:37 am - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-SlimCat-Food-Distributor-Ball/dp/B0018CG40O

I googled for "cat foraging feeder ball" and quite a few options popped up.

Good luck with that cat! eek... I hope to head off my fattie's problem before we get to that level!

Reva

Most Active
Recent Topics
Yipee!
Sommer · 0 replies · 496 views
OUCH! Lesbians and Obesity
applekid · 0 replies · 1244 views
Hi!
Mary K. · 0 replies · 462 views
Persian Parent in Mass
goldroses · 0 replies · 545 views