WOW!

prairie-dog-girl
on 4/10/12 11:28 am
Hi,
Lurking and very excited to find a Christianity forum here! I feel pretty well informed about WLS as I worked in a Bariatric Center of Excellence and have had extensive conversations with one of our surgeons, who had WLS  also  .I'm  99% sure I want to do this. But, the last five years have been fiiled with major issues, due to marriage issues  ,ill  spouse who has become disabled and more ill , financial stress and foreclosure etc .Although the last year has brought many blessings and answers to prayer, some issues are ongoing and will continue to  be .I've already contacted the WLS department and I just have to call back to get process rolling. The 1% hesitation is the worry that if I don't get my emotional house cleaned up, I may have difficulty being sucessful. I've done therapy , meds etc .I'm doing better, but, some of these issues will be foreve  .I would  appreciate advice and prayers and will be praying for all of you .Thanks!
Lisa S.
on 4/10/12 11:59 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Hello. I ditto your excitement about finding this forum. Woo Hoo!!! And yes...I worry too about getting all the emotional stuff in order. I think the wls does the physical job. But it won't be successful if we don't do the "head work". I have been seeing a therapist for the last few months...He is wonderful...and Jewish. Which I find intersting because I am Christian. But because he knows God he can relate when I tell him about kicking myself for worrying and fear...which are tools the enemy uses to distance us from our God. I will be praying for you. Pray for me too. I have had nothing but problems with my insurance for the last 2 months - long story I feel like I was under attack. My church friends have been supportive. But it is different when they are not going thru this process. Here is a few verses for you...my favorites lately:
Psalms 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God!
Exodus 14:14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.
Be blessed...keep posting. Love to ya.

prairie-dog-girl
on 4/11/12 8:59 am
Thanks Lisa and I will pray for you! Your surgery date is near, how exciting .Let us know how it's going .My favorite verse is Jeramiah 29:11- For know the plans I have to prosper you and not harm you and give you hope and a future .Blessings to all!
Hislady
on 4/12/12 8:02 am - Vancouver, WA
Besides wanting to let you know I'll be praying for you I wanted to welcome you to our forum. It is so awesome to see new folks, this forum was virtually dead and now slowly it is picking up so it is exciting to see! As one who has already had surgery and been around here for 4 yrs I can tell you it is very important to have your head as straightened out as you can before surgery. You have no idea how many fail just because of this one issue. Some of you folks have been thru hell and back in your lives and need to have dealt with the majority of that before having surgery because you will also run into issues from the surgery itself that will take work. I wish you all the best and pray that things will fall in place as the Lord sees fit for things to happen in your life. God bless!
prairie-dog-girl
on 4/12/12 8:42 am
Thank you so much for your concern , prayers and well wishes! May I ask how your doing? Well,  I hope. Without  getting into too many boring details, the last five years have been Hell for me. For 4 of those years it seemed God was silent and every huge issue snowballed into another, but, I never lost faith. I always said "God has a plan". While the past year has brought many blessings, answers to prayer and 1 extremely huge miracle, some issues will be forever.I took a leap of faith and signed up next week for the 8 hour class that is the first step required in the process for WLS. The Lord has already worked it out. I don't how to say this next part any other  way and I hope no  one  is offended. In today's world,  Christians are criticized for being intolerant. Yet, it's perfectly acceptable to mistreat and offend people that are Christian's and obese. I  know because I'm both and have been mistreated for both reasons. I'm glad here it is ok to be both. Thanks and Blessings !
Patricia R.
on 4/16/12 12:34 pm - Perry, MI
 Hi and welcome,
I am usually more regular, but am visiting my daughter and caring for my grandchildren, so I rarely get on my computer.

I understand the concerns and ditto what has been suggested already.  My best suggestion for the emotional stuff is to attend some Oveaters Anonymous meetings.  OA is a 12 Step recovery group patterned after AA.  I have done OA in the past, and am currently active in AA, because my alcoholism is my top priority.  

While the 12 Steps uses a God of our own understanding, there are plenty of Christians in the 12 Step rooms.  I also use the Life Recovery Bible, which helps me understand how the 12 Steps are rooted in Biblical principles.

God bless.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

prairie-dog-girl
on 4/18/12 7:09 am
Thanks Trish! I started seeing a new primary physician about a month ago.Saw her once,very nice, but seemed  seemed to blow me off at end of visit when I tried to discuss my wanting WLS. I contacted the  WLS program and signed up for the all day class that is the first step.The coordinator sent them the insurance referral. Primary office called me to say I had to make an appointment to see her to "'discuss "it. She is aware I have a history of GERD/reflux and elevated cholesterol, both being treated with meds as well as a family history of heart disease. Is this normal or because she doesn't know me well? Does this sound like I may have trouble getting a referral??If this isn't too personal, did thing goes smoothly for you after your WLS?I pray for all of you here everyday.God Bless!
Patricia R.
on 4/18/12 10:41 am - Perry, MI
 Hey there,
When I had my WLS, the insurance I had at the time did not require referrals, and interestingly, I never discussed my decision to have the surgery with my primary doc.  I did discuss it with my psychotherapist and my psychiatrist, who did my psych evaluation.

Prior to seeking surgery, I had been in Overeaters Anonymous for years, and did two outpatient eating disorder treatment programs, and finally sought surgery when I needed a breast MRI, and was humiliated by not being able to fit in the MRI machine.  I had asked the hospital to let me use a machine that would fit a larger person, but they stupidly made me try a regular machine first.  I was so embarassed I wrote a letter of complaint to the head of the hospital.

Post-op problems.  I did develop an ulcer about seven months post op.  I did not consider it a complication, because I had ulcers several times years prior to my surgery.  One year out, I needed incisional hernia surgery, as my surgery was done open, and the hernia was painful.  Still, I would do the surgery all over again regardless.  

My most challenging complication was a relapse with my alcoholism.  I have been in Alcoholics Anonymous for 22 years.  I had over six years without a drink, when I relapsed one year post-op.  My relapse was the most challening, degrading two years ever.  It took outpatient and inpatient treatment before I surrendered my alcoholism and my entire life completely to the Lord.  I diligently work all 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, as well as actively participate in a Ladies Bible Study at my church.  For several years we have done Beth Moore studies with the video teaching on DVD.  This past year, we have been working on two different Priscilla Shirer, with a similar format.  I am also mentoring a baby Christian who also has a terrible alcohol and drug problem, as well as a co-occurring mental illness.  Fortunately for me, her family problems, which are a result of her mental health issues and drug behaviors, are similar to the ones I experienced when my children were teenagers and my marriage wass near break-up.

I am 54 years old, divorced, mother of three adult children.  My daughter is 35, married with two children, and one due any day now.  She and her husband are walking closely with the Lord, and are raising my grandchildren to know and love the Lord.  My older son is 34, married and living and working in New York City.  Though raised professing Christ as Savior, he now professes Atheism.  My younger son is 29, single, living in Pittsburgh, PA.  He lives with his girlfriend, and is working on a Bachelors degree at the University of Pittsburgh.  He also professes Atheism.

I live outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  I retired from teaching on disability for several illnesses.  I work part time as a Social Worker at a psychiatric hospital, which I absolutely love.

I hope this helps you get to know me better.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

prairie-dog-girl
on 4/19/12 10:17 am
Thanks Trish for taking the time to respond. I'm glad you didn't really have too much physical issues post op.I've also done several Beth Moore bible studies at church. I'm not familiar with the other lady you mentioned.I worked at a Bariatric Center of Excellence for many years.Talking with hundreds of patient's as well as one of our surgeon's who has WLS,only a few regretted it.Because I have an HMO, already been warned it will be a year before having surgery,including a 6 month medically supervised diet and many other hoops to jump through. I'm also 54.Son is 17,daughters 22 and 28.Been in church since the day they were born.No one giving me problems, but , not living Godly lives either.Hubby medically disabled 3 years, major heart and memory issues as well as other problems.Never had bad habits and took care of himself,bad family history.The last 5 years have  been hell .His long term disability refused to pay him on a technicality( I've since found out most of these policies are ) and getting SS disability took over 2 years.Him being the main bread winner and no income for that long caused a host of problems including us losing our house last year.Anyway,  as well as my desire to have a healthier life, I need to stay healthy to keep working, providing insurance and taking care of hubby.I was never overweight till adulthood and I started working midnights.Before that ,I never understood what overweight people struggle with.I wish the best with your continued work on the alcoholism.I pray for all of us here everyday.Thanks for being willing to give of yourself to others.Blessings!
Most Active