Luke 9;24

Hislady
on 8/24/12 8:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

"Whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it." Oh how satan would like us to believe we should live for today and not worry about tomorrow, just go have fun with no price to pay. However we as Chritians know this is very risky for our eternal future. We can't have it both ways, I always picture the little devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other. It is simplistic, but we really do have to make that choice, will we live for the excitement of today or turn to Jesus for an eternal life of more joy than we could ever have here on earth? This is the most important decision we will ever make! Have you made that choice yet? Your very eternal life depends on it!

God bless!
Karen

Patricia R.
on 8/25/12 6:49 am - Perry, MI
Hi Karen,
What I've found recently is that by doing the volunteer work, that I believe is using my Spiritual gifts for His glory, I have more joy each day, I look forward to each day more and more.  

In my work at the drug and alcohol agency, I am at the receptionist desk greeting the clients as they come in, and saying good-bye as they leave.  When I say "Hello, how are you doing today?" it's always with a smile.  When asked about how I'm doing, I usually reply, "Blessed beyond my wildest dreams," because that is exactly how I feel.  I'm experiencing so much joy and peace in my life these days, I am just bursting.  

When I was in relapse with the alcohol, or not doing the volunteer work, I would whine and complain about how much pain I'm in, or some other imagined complaint.  Not anymore.

So, in the past, I used to live for today, for myself, my needs, my pleasure, my wants.  Me, me, me.  Now that I am living for our Lord, and thinking of others, I am still living for today, but with Him in charge of each day in my life.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Hislady
on 8/25/12 3:44 pm - Vancouver, WA
That is soooo awesome! It's such a blessing to be able to say I live each day with complete joy and what a blessing that must be for folks who come in for counceling and help. For them to see a joy filled person MUST give them hope that the can someday be there too. It's a joy that only a Christian can understand, it's beyond what the unsaved can feel on their best day. It's more than the average person can understand. I'm so glad that you are doing so well, let us pray it lasts for the rest of your life! You are blessed beyond measure!
Patricia R.
on 8/25/12 8:59 pm - Perry, MI
A lot of the people at the agency are living in a recovery boarding house, which is for people who are early in their recovery.  Most need jobs.  Some have been arrested for DUI, or drug related offenses.  They are usually broke, and are extremely discouraged by the life they find themselves living.  

Because society places a stigma on people with histories of addiction or alcoholism, most of the clients are feeling ostracized.  They are usually surrounded by pessimistic peers and a lot do feel almost hopeless.

All of the paid staff, and most of the volunteers are in recovery, so we have a lot of empathy, and a deep understanding of where the clients are when they first come in.  Since they know I am in recovery, I do give them hope.  I was exactly where they were almost three years ago.  

I love that four afternoons a week, I am the first person they see when they come in, and the last person they see as they leave.  I treat them with dignity and respect.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active