New to Forum~Belly Dancing

lv2beasahm
on 10/11/07 8:38 am - Pennsville, NJ
I'm so happy I found this forum! My best friend is a belly dancer and, while doing our 4.5 mile walk today, she's informed me that she wants to teach me to belly dance. LOL Thank goodness I'm post op and down about 85 lbs. I'm currently about 40 lbs from my goal. I'm so thrilled to see other post ops who are learning too. Did you find it hard? Were you able to let go of being self-conscious and just have FUN? I can't practice around my husband because he'd tell me EVERYTHING I'm doing wrong....though he knows nothing about it. LOL So, just wanted to say hi and it's great to see so many new belly dancers out here!!! * Cyndi *
Jonnelle
on 9/19/08 1:26 am - TN
Hi Cyndi!

Welcome to belly dancing!!! 

With all new forms of movement, you are going to be self-concious.  What you will find with alot of belly dancers, though, is that we are generally more accepting of new folks, different body types.  So don't be too hard on yourself at the beginning.

Give your mind and body time to make the connections.  If you have to put your hand there to force the movement (without hurting yourself), do so for a while.  Eventually, it'll click. 

I found belly dance to be very easy, but movement is one of the things I am particularly gifted in.  I was dancing from age 5 to 10, until my parents divorced and I stopped doing everything.  I started ice skating in high school and picked up belly dance in 1998.  It did take me a year to get the abdominal rolls/undulations down, though.  It takes alot of time to build up that abdominal strength.

All you really need to get started is a hip scarf - just something you can tie around your hips.

If find that you have trouble learning from your friend (teaching/learning styles may clash.. no offense to your friend), don't be afraid to seek out another class or a quality DVD like from Jillina or Suhaila Salimpour (available at places like Target) or IAMED (online though their site or amazon).  Be careful about DVD's though, there are some real stinkers out there with slick production values.  Don't be afraid to ask the community for recommendations!

As far as resources go, be sure to visit shira.net.  It has teacher listings, reviews, articles and is truly a comprehensive resource for all levels.

You want good technique because that will be the foundation for you to let it go and have fun with the music and other people. 

To show you can dance at any size, here is a link to a performance I did at a hafla (party) last year.  Enjoy and if you have questions, ask away!

Jonnelle
ann T.
on 4/18/09 5:39 am
Started belly dancing four weeks ago and I am in love and PAIN

Ann 

There's no night without stars.
Andre Norton

jessiesquash
on 2/17/11 2:37 pm, edited 2/17/11 2:42 pm - AZ
Most Active
Recent Topics
New to Forum~Belly Dancing