Can we all be real for a few minutes and talk about Flagyl??

LisaH73
on 9/5/08 2:43 pm - Middletown, OH
   What was there to be scared of? All I'd heard from people was how great it was and that all their gas issues had gone away. I'm a little weirded out by a post a few days ago where someone said it was linked to cancer in rats, but I'm not a rat so I'm not sure what to think of that.
Dayton/Cincy/Col's Yahoo Group
My DS Photo Page  holding steady at goal since Sept. '08
DS Shirt Shop (non profit)
Yahoo: JoRoLisa73 AIM: JoRoLisa73
w8'n no more
on 9/5/08 9:59 am - middle of, IL
Lori, you are my little switch sister, and have pretty much followed in my footsteps this whole journey.  What I have found is that the probiotics were the PROBLEM not the solution.  I also did the Flagyl with Diflucan, followed by lots of yogurt and probiotic pills.  Twice.  I went on vacation and forgot the probiotics and couldn't find good yogurt (cruise to Mexico).  When I dumped the probiotics, the gas went away.  I know this is against the usual, but that's what happened to me.  Also, I only use Unjury as my protein shakes; 2 scoops with whole milk and 1/2 banana.  I have no gas these days. I drink at least 2 per day.  I, too, was afraid to take flagyl on a maintenance basis and Dr. A was against it.  You might want to give this a try.  Dump the probiotics for a few weeks, and use a high grade protein powder for your shakes.  What can it hurt to give this a try?  I only poop 1 time per day now.  It is a BIG poo, but it is only 1. 
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
Leslie
on 9/5/08 10:06 am
Wow! This sounds a lot like me, Kathy! (by the way...hello!!!)I go once a day, also a lot.  I've really haven't taken my probiotics for a while now and I also don't have any gas. I've just been too lazy ****heap!) to buy some more. I thought it was me and my insides sort of maturing and getting really used to things. Maybe it is the probiotics. Really interesting. I also have been drinking 2 protein shakes a day with soy milk. Hmmm......

4 Years Post Op: At Goal And STILL Loving My DS!  
340/180/180  ~  5'11"  ~   I lost 160 lbs!!  
LBL & Hernia Repair: Done! Arm Lift: Done! Next Up: Thighs & Boobs!
Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at
DSFacts.com

Lori Black
on 9/5/08 11:07 am - , IN
NO probiotics?  Now that's something I hadn't thought of.  Maybe you're onto something there!  And since I do follow everything you do, I should consider this could be the root of my problem.  Seriously?   Anything's possible.  I'll do whatever it takes to figure it out.

Thanks, Kathy!

Lori
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/08 12:05 pm
I have not been around much lately but just wanted to tell you that I am on my maintanence dose and love it.

You and I are very similar Lori and this is the only way I can carb out and keep the weight on.  I have next to zero gas and I eat carbs all day long.

Don't suffer Hun and do what feels best.  I will continue with the flagyl as long as I need too!!

Kelly
jane_w
on 9/5/08 11:21 am - New Orleans, LA
Lori, after reading Cathy's post I never realised you were taking probiotics aswell as Flagyl.  Hell no, I think that's too much.  Only ever one or the other!

5'7" SW 268lbs BMI 42/ CW 132lbs BMI 20.7 / GW 140lbs 136lbs Lost
I Ymy duodenal switch

kindredspirit fl
on 9/5/08 12:47 pm - islander, FL
As a pre-op I would just like to say that it is important to be honest.This is where we get our support and info.If someone wants to take it and make it into a DS bashing then let. them.The vets can take care of any of the misinformation.There's enough out there that proves DSers aren't the only WLS with poop issues.I get a little tiered of only getting half the picture because no one wants to put anything bad out there.There are issues and we will deal,Just like "they"have to.Lori you are not a whimp to take this as seriously as you are.Antibiotics are powerful and are not to be taken lightly.in my very humble opinion.All other reasons and options should be investigated first.Like Red said you may have picked up something.You don't want to miss it.You are in tune with your body and you need to go with your gut.You hesitate for a reason,there could be more tothis and you need to check it out.And you learned about the flagyle and probiotics thing too.So now we all know.This is good...
Lori Black
on 9/5/08 10:40 pm - , IN
Be sure to check out Diana Cox's post on page 3 now too...this is a great post to bookmark and save for the future.

Thanks for your help,  Kindredspirit!

Lori
piscesbandster
on 9/5/08 1:21 pm - New York, NY
VSG on 08/18/08 with
Ok, help me Big Sister DSer! Newbie on VSG having bend at the waist gas, or acid or something. Can you tell me some resources where I can learn about Flagyl and Probiotics and other good digestion things?
Sorry if you have had Band pp probs or RNY probs. They could just wish to lose as much as DSers and keep it off. Maybe its jealously?
Thanks for any help you or your fellow DSers can provide!

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 3 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 3 replies · 33 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1096 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1271 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 520 views