calcium/protein

PTcoki
on 3/1/24 7:19 am

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

hollykim
on 3/1/24 8:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 1, 2024 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

I had DS in 2002. Have faithfully taken supplements. Maintained levels until this year. Take 3600 liquid calcium over day plus wear 3600 patches at night but is still to low. Don't know what chnged. Anyone able to help me?

what kind of calcium is in the liquid and patches?

PTcoki
on 3/1/24 7:54 pm

No, sorry. I take liquid calcium and wear patches

hollykim
on 3/2/24 9:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 2, 2024 at 3:54 AM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

No, sorry. I take liquid calcium and wear patches

I read that but there are several different kinds of calcium. Some are better absorbed than others. Look on the packages at the labels to what kind of calcium is in them.

PTcoki
on 3/3/24 7:09 am

Takin correct type. Is it normal 20 years after DS to have worse problem with absorption? Can't think of any dietary or medical changes to all of a sudden have trouble maintaining my low but acceptable levels of calcium and protein.

hollykim
on 3/3/24 7:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 3, 2024 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, PTcoki wrote:

Takin correct type. Is it normal 20 years after DS to have worse problem with absorption? Can't think of any dietary or medical changes to all of a sudden have trouble maintaining my low but acceptable levels of calcium and protein.

the body tries to adapt to the malabsorption caused by the DS over time do I wouldn't think the absorption would get worse over 30 years, but I could be wrong.
good luck with your search for answers.

califsleevin
on 3/14/24 5:51 pm - CA

Take a look through the various articles and blog posts from Dr. Keshishian at https://www.dssurgery.com/articles/ . There is likely something in there covering your concerns, as it is something that would come up from time to time in our support groups (before covid halted them.)

It is likely something that you need to see an endocrinologist about to see what's happening - thyroid possibly? If you are just now seeing low levels in your labs, it may be something that has been going on for a while as the body works to keep serum Ca levels constant - by using your bones as a reservoir - so certainly something to get on top of. Have you had bone density scans lately? That's something that should probably be routine for anyone with a malabsorbing WLS.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

kanecharles
on 4/26/24 8:57 pm
On March 15, 2024 at 12:51 AM Pacific Time, califsleevin wrote:

Take a look through the various articles and blog posts from Dr. Keshishian at https://www.dssurgery.com/articles/ . There is likely something in there covering your concerns, as it is something that would come up from time to time in our support groups (before covid halted them.)

It is likely something that you need to see an endocrinologist about to see what's happening - thyroid possibly? If you are just now seeing low levels in your labs, it may be something that has been going on for a while as the body works to keep serum Ca levels constant - by using your bones as a reservoir - so certainly something to get on top of. Have you had bone density scans lately? That's something that should probably be routine for anyone with a malabsorbing WLS.

Thank you for submitting this information. I greatly appreciate your advice. I will review Dr. Keshishian's articles and consult with an endocrinologist to understand my condition. Having your bone density tested is also a good idea. I will closely monitor my health condition and take the necessary steps. Thank you for your support. I also use time calculator to track my regular check-up dates.

MsNikki318
on 4/6/24 3:13 am - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

Along with consulting your healthcare provider, you might want to consider getting a comprehensive blood test to check your levels of vitamin D and other essential nutrients. Based on the results, your doctor can recommend specific supplements.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 795 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views