Dumping syndrome with DS

Sheanie
on 4/9/11 2:21 pm
Yupper.  She definitely snuck past the IQ test during the psych exam.  It happens. 

I get the feeling when I over-indulge in simple sugars.  Like too much chocolate, a sugary drink (any type of juice can do it, if I drink enough), or alot of refined white flour. 

But, again, a smart person will eventually figure out the connection between "sweet stuff = dizzy girl" and avoid the culprit.  Only a simpleton will keep touching the hot stove. 

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/9/11 2:33 pm - Tuvalu

Are you, like, talking about those little, like naps I suddenly need, like after the ice cream treats?  And how it happens like over and over and over?  You, like, mean, like that?
Sheanie
on 4/9/11 2:37 pm
Sorry, Sue, I missed that.  I was just checking the stove............

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 5:28 am - San Jose, CA
Over my pre-op years (i.e., before I turned 50), I had several occasions (maybe about 8 that I recall) where I was suddenly and unexpectedly overcome with symptoms that sound like this.  One case I remember in particular, when I was in grad school I think, I was at a crowded party at someone's apartment that had only one toilet.  I was drinking and eating - not ridiculously, as I recall, though it may have been margaritas or something sweet like that, and probably something high fat like a dip.  All of a sudden, I got shaky and nauseated, and almost **** my pants running for the bathroom, where I stayed for about 30 min on the toilet, shaking and ****ting and sweating, while people pounded on the door but I couldn't get up!  Finally, the feeling passed and I was able to rejoin the party, though I'm sure I didn't feel completely normal for several hours.

What was that?  I don't know.  I think I've had a milder version of it once or twice since I had my DS - but frankly, it feels more vasovagal than what dumping is or what it is caused by.
southernlady5464
on 4/10/11 7:34 am
Well, they (medical professionals) ARE referring to RH in RNY'ers as "late dumping" so that may be where she is getting the term.

If you google, "late dumping" in conjunction with RNY you will see it referred to as RH as well. Dumping Syndrome

Late dumping

Late dumping occurs 1-3 hours after a meal. The pathogenesis is thought to be related to the early development of hyperinsulinemic (reactive) hypoglycemia.[15, 16] Rapid delivery of a meal to the small intestine results in an initial high concentration of carbohydrates in the proximal small bowel and rapid absorption of glucose. This is countered by a hyperinsulinemic response. The high insulin levels are responsible for the subsequent hypoglycemia. Intrajejunal glucose induces a higher insulin release than does the intravenous infusion of glucose.[17] The serum glucose levels were the same in both experiments. This effect of enhanced insulin release after an enteral glucose load as compared to intravenous glucose administration is called the incretin effect.

Why they just don't call it Reactive Hypoglycemia is beyond me.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Jennifer D.
on 4/10/11 9:36 am, edited 4/10/11 9:38 am
I remember watching her youtube videos quite a while ago. I wonder if this could also be a bit of dehydration? It seemed to have gone on for days.

Edited to add that BailyeMouse made a similar comment on Youtube.
sotto_voce
on 4/10/11 11:09 am - Alpharetta, GA
I admit I didn't take the time to go watch her video, but I will say that I have experienced dumping a few times and it isn't pleasant. How do I know it is dumping? Not to be graphic, each time it has occured it has been about 10 - 15 minutes after I've eaten and I have to rush to the bathroom, sweating and cramping. After an urgent bowel movement, I see what I have JUST eaten, still undigested in the toilet. I'm talking spinach leaves from salad where I can clearly see my teeth marks from the chewing and they are now, only minutes later, in the toilet.

So, yes, people with the DS can dump, just like normies in the general population. I remember similar episodes pre-DS that my GI chalked up as IBS, but now that I'm more well-versed in medical liturature, I realize what is going on during those rare instances.

I wouldn't let fear of reactive hypoglycemia or dumping prevent you from getting a DS. Just know that both conditions exist outside of WLS patients, as well.

Bethany

Rena H.
on 4/10/11 11:58 am - Spokane, WA
mmmm i don't think that is dumping... at least in the RNY sense of the word, which is what she is asking. Dumping for an RNYer happens when food isn't digested in the stomach because it gets washed out, because there isn't a pylorus valve. 

That is just that you don't have the ability to digest complex ruffages like that. Your small intestine is too short for leafy things. 
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

girlygirl1313
on 4/10/11 10:10 pm - Davidson, NC
 I wondered if I had dumping syndrome or RH but I couldn't correlate it to anything I had eaten. Mine turned out to be a vitamin K deficiency. I was having heart palpitations, dizziness, feeling faint.  Upping my dosage almost immediately ended those symptoms.

This is purely speculation, but I wonder if some surgeons cut too close to the pylorus and end up damaging it. I would love to know the surgeons of those who experience DS dumping. Nine dumping DSrs in one support group? YIKES

BL79 are you trying to justify to yourself getting the RNY?  Talk yourself out of the DS? You need to stop freaking out about one person's experience or claims through hearsay and just do the research on the surgeries yourself.  Don't get the DS just cause there are people who are in love with it.  And don't justify getting the RNY because there is a minute possibility you might dump with DS anyway.

No matter what procedure you choose, along with it comes a myriad of outcomes and possible complications.  Regardless, your lifestyle will need to change to accommodate which ever surgery you elect to have.  It is an unwavering lifetime commitment listening to what your specific surgery demands from you.  So prepare yourself for ANYTHING.

~GG

bornleader79
on 4/11/11 12:32 pm - Fort Campbell , KY
No its not that girly girl...I just want to make sure I have all the info in depth. I think its because when I had the opportunity to speak with Dr Sudan. I froze up and all the questions I had for him...I didnt even ask. That still bothers me now. Im just trying to figure out if the DS lifestyle is a lifestyle I can have for the longterm.

Thats All

Also on You Tube! Check me Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_oy2y3XfM

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 942 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1156 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views