Terry's Post Gave me the Courage to Post

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 9:28 am
WOW what a heart-wrenching and scary story!  I'm so glad you made it through and are doing better.  Hugs!
Loretta W.
on 12/20/11 10:31 am - Inland Empire, CA
I am soo sorry for your  entire ordeal!  Bless your heart! Huge ((HUGS))  Prayers for your continued healing, physical and otherwise. Thanks for sharing, too
Loretta

provolisa
on 12/20/11 12:00 pm - Provo, UT
 Nannette,

Thank-you for having the courage to post this!

You are one brave, strong, woman, to have made it through all of that! Your story brought tears to my eyes, and then I would wipe them away, and then keep reading, and it would bring them again, over and over! 

I pray that you now continue to find strength and health, and to adapt to your new digestive anatomy.

Best Wishes,
~Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

adam_
on 12/20/11 8:09 pm - Boynton Beach, FL
  Nan,
I'm so thankful that you're still here with us today - you're an unbelievable inspiration to so many people... On one hand, I'm upset that I didn't know all this was going on...but on the other, I'm thankful - because I would have spent the last few month freaking the f&C* out...As you know, I have an idea of what you went through, having been in a similar situation 4 yrs ago...and it is terrible.  I cant imagine what your loved ones had to endure... I am thankful for my wife every day, for standing by my side...through all the craziness...weeks in the ICU...the hallucinations, paranoia, etc...  that takes a strong person to be able to deal with.   Something that nobody should have to endure.  But I truly believe that everything happens for a reason...it will only make us stronger moving forward....

Love you....miss you....

- Adam

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Nannette
on 12/20/11 11:42 pm - Toms River, NJ
Hey Adam -- I miss you so much -- Yes, I know that you know full well what I was feeling -- it is so hard to be that helpless when you are used to doing EVERYTHING for EVERYONE!  Yes, I do believe it has made me even stronger, and more appreciative -- of course, as I told the Dr as he was preparing to do the first emergency surgery -- "I'm a Tough Brooklyn *****" -- he laughed, but througout the rest of the ordeal -- he agreed that I was tough because someone else may not have made it thru!

Please let Andrew know how much his drawn picture and Get Well Card meant to me.  The drawing of our boat and all of us in it that fateful day brought a smile and a giggle to me when I needed it most!  Please give both him and Jen hugs for me.

Hugs,
Nan

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

adam_
on 12/21/11 11:12 am - Boynton Beach, FL
On December 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM Pacific Time, Nannette wrote:
Hey Adam -- I miss you so much -- Yes, I know that you know full well what I was feeling -- it is so hard to be that helpless when you are used to doing EVERYTHING for EVERYONE!  Yes, I do believe it has made me even stronger, and more appreciative -- of course, as I told the Dr as he was preparing to do the first emergency surgery -- "I'm a Tough Brooklyn *****" -- he laughed, but througout the rest of the ordeal -- he agreed that I was tough because someone else may not have made it thru!

Please let Andrew know how much his drawn picture and Get Well Card meant to me.  The drawing of our boat and all of us in it that fateful day brought a smile and a giggle to me when I needed it most!  Please give both him and Jen hugs for me.

Hugs,
Nan
Nan,

I told Andrew what you said and he grinned from ear to ear...can't wait to see you ...going to try to get up there March-ish!  BTW, will you be at the Jan. meeting?  There is a friend I used to work with up there that would like to attend - he is considering RNY or VSG...

Talk to you soon!

-Adam

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Nannette
on 12/22/11 1:47 am - Toms River, NJ
Yes Adam -- I'll be at January's OCWLS Mtg.
cathygo
on 12/21/11 1:00 am
 Nannette, 

i am crying, I am so so sorry about all this.   Thank God and your angel for keeping you safe. 

Terry and you posted about your revisions from RNY to DS.  Reforming the stomach must not be an easy thing.  I am revising from a sleeve to a DS, am I correct to think this is a less difficult surgery? I am trying to shake this fear that has overcome me  and want to  think this will not happen to me!  I know youi guys post to  open our eyes to reality and I really do apprecaite it but  I am terrified and sad for both you. I can only imagine you were like I am now, hopeful and excited for this second chance and then had to go through all of this and your family too!  

Would you do it again knowing what you know now?  What would you do different?   

Cath

Nannette
on 12/22/11 1:55 am - Toms River, NJ
Cathy -- as I understand it, the sleeve is actually the first part of the DS -- without the malasorbtion -- so yes, what you are having done is actually the 2nd part of the DS -- and some actually have it done in two stages for various reasons.  So what you have done will be just the intestinal part shortening the limb for malabsorption.

As far as doing it again with what I know now -- obviously, if I had known that the left part of my stomach was already damaged from the RNY -- NO I wouldn't choose to go the route I did cause what I'm left with is a shortened intestinal limb, no stomach, no pyloric valve, etc.  However, If I had known that the RNY would eventually lead to the enlarged stoma, and IF my insurance would have covered DS eight years ago, I very well might have gone that direction back then.

Having said all that -- if I didn't know -- I would do nothing different.....

Good luck
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

Frankie
on 12/21/11 2:38 am - NY
Nannette, welcome back! I often wondered how you did after your surgery.  I had tears in my eyes reading your story, you definitely have some Angels in your corner.  You are a brave and strong individual.  Thank you for telling your story because not all WLS end with a happy note.  There are good and bad sides to it.  I am happy you are still here to tell your story.  I will continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

Hugs,
Frankie

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 988 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1173 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 457 views