Has anyone on this Board had Medicare as primary ??

nurse55
on 4/22/12 7:55 am, edited 4/22/12 7:56 am
DS on 09/11/12
Liz,

You are a Southern Lady that has also been an inspiration for me as well as all the others that are no longer here, Thank you for the information and for being an advocate for the DS as well as respecting everyone's choice for the surgery they feel is right for them but also putting the real facts about the DS out there for whomever wants to learn.

I have looked at Dr. Boyce's information and will be contacting him if I find out that Dr. Houston does not accept Medicare reinbursment.
Oh and the surgeon I have listed is not the one that does the DS, it is Dr. Houston, I don't know how to remove Dr. Clements..LOL

Thank you so much,
Carla

mlleelise
on 4/23/12 5:05 am
DS on 02/13/12
I had my DS with Dr. Keshishian in February and thought I would share my Medicare-related experience. I was GOING to go Medicare at the Delano, CA hospital (which is a COE), however, both Dr. Keshishian and his office contact, Diana, told me that they have not had any DS surgeries approved through Medicare recently. Each one has been a battle which the patient has lost. I was told to be prepared for a very large bill if Medicare denied - one close to $28000 - even though I clearly met the medical criteria for WLS.

I had already been through the insurance mill with BCBS and decided it wasn't worth the gamble: I went to through the Verdugo Hills Hospital program with Dr. Keshishian as self-pay... but saving about $13000. This hospital was working towards its COE designation at the time (don't know if the $15000 special is still in effect), and it was a great hospital!  It is very close to the Burbank airport and everything else in LA - whereas the Delano Hospital would have meant more travel.

I realize everyone else here has posted that they DID get Medicare approval, so I don't know why Dr. K's office has been having such a problem.

Hope everything goes well for you - whichever doctor you choose - and that Medicare DOES come through for you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 613 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 976 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 331 views