Looking for some deep down honesty and some hindsight as foresight

airbender
on 9/15/13 12:46 pm

well the kids don't  like the bathroom issues....but for me it is usually only in the morning, dont wake up earlier, but as soon as my feet hit the floor i usually have to go within 10 mins and then again in about 10 mins it is sooo weird, if i eat more then i have another BM but that is it, it doesn't affect my life at all, at work i use a bathroom in a different building where no one really goes.....etc....if i eat high carbs the gas will kill everyone.  i would not share a room with someone...unless it was my kids.....

you cant eat what you want, no matter what other wls types tell you....LOL

Irishnurse
on 9/15/13 12:54 pm
DS on 04/17/13

I would have to go with what all these DS peeps have said. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Sandra C.
on 9/16/13 12:32 pm - Kalamazoo, MI

Angelique, are you thinking of having the D.S. , or a revision to the D.S.?

Everyone seems to be having a few differences living with the D.S. Your outcome may be different than mine. The issues I had in the first 6 months were temporary. I had a hard time getting used to the feeling of food in a sleeved stomach. Adjusting my food choices, and having most of my protein in the form of shakes was an easy fix. My stomach at 2 years out is still small, doing its job helping me maintain a normal BMI for a year. Weight loss was and still is not automatic, I worked hard to lose 135 lbs in 8 months, with an Atkins type high protein diet, and daily vitamins. I don't need as many as some people need. My labs determine my vitamin needs. This months labs are in the best shape ever in 2 years. I've learned how to manage living with the D.S., my 100 cc, a sleeve w/pylorus and malabsorbtion. All this is way more involved than I ever imagined, like managing a business, keeping on top of everything every day.

Down side of weight loss? I can't think of any. I am thrilled to have a thin body, with the help of plastic surgery, and the ability to work out at the gym and in my garden. My hip and knee arthritis pain is totally gone. I walked 4 miles around the corn fields and country side near our house enjoying the fall weather, pain free. Pre surgery I could hardly walk to the mail box, each step felt like glass slivers were in my hip and knee joints. 

The #1 thing I didn't know pre surgery was the extent of inexperience the medical field has about long term management of  D.S. health, diet and supplement needs. Be prepared to research your needs, manage your health care, and stay on top of your labs with proper supplementation and search for Dr's receptive to your D.S. advice. I really had no idea I would be teaching my PCP internist about my D.S. needs. At least she is receptive of my internet learned advice.

The D.S. isn't for everyone. My surgeon and many other surgeons chose their D.S. patients carefully to be sure they can handle all the life long self care that goes along with having the D.S. It's a very big surgery, not good for everyone. As the years go by, working my D.S. is very easy, second nature now about food choices, hydration and taking all my vitamins everyday. I know this was the best surgery choice for me, none of the other options would be able to keep me at my weight goal, within 4 lbs for a year so far without regain. Surgery can't fix my brains addiction to ice cream, carbs, and snacking. My carb monster is kept under lock and key, managed by my D.S. I know I could out eat any surgery, but malabsorbtion insures not all of it will end up on my hips.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Angelique J.
on 9/16/13 1:55 pm - Allentown, PA

I am looking at a revision from lap-band. This was a great reply and I have to say that the "run like a business" side of keeping up with myself post surgery is on my con side. I am in early stages of learning and there is just SO much to know and so much to teach those in the health care field that you will deal with. I see a counselor weekly to work through my food issues and am working on getting up to 80+ protein levels now. Thank you for your thoughts, this was way helpful. 

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Sandra C.
on 9/21/13 7:38 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Angelique,

I am very happy I made a pro/con list too about the D.S. and RNY. My  D.S.  pro list was heads above any other WLS. The D.S. facts are easy to learn, with printable diagram sheets to hand to any Dr unfamiliar with the D.S.. I gave a diagram and page of info from OH about having radiology tests, CT's, EGD's, and more. The hospital  radiologist used this info for a diagnosis. Easy, and it was much appreciated. All my Dr's have kept my handouts. There are many D.S. private chat groups you can join once you have the surgery, to ask about the fine points as they pop up. No one can learn it all at one time. I only learned the basics by searching on line, made a notebook, helpful the first months post D.S. This is the only surgery with little chance of regain because of the malabsorbtion. I have maintained normal BMI for a year hardly trying. Some do have complications, as in any surgery. I didn't have any. My surgeons D.S. group is complication free, very healthy, all grateful they have the D.S. 

Protein:  Most of us use protein drinks to increase levels added to varied choices of real food. The first 3 months post surgery are hard, getting used to a tiny stomach, hydrating enough, eating small amounts of food. This is true with all the WLS. It is a "tool" to help you be able to learn to eat less. I can eat or drink all day grazing, nibbling on just about anything I want. I could go on and on about living with my D.S. I wouldn't trade it for anything  !!!!!

PM me if you have any personal questions. I have helped so many decide on the D.S., and if  they lived close enough , or wanted to travel to him, sent them to my surgeon Dr. Kemmeter. One of my D.S. friends I influenced chose my surgeon. She just had her 1st surgiversary, she lost 150 lbs, still on her way to lose the rest, so happy with the D.S. I lost all I wanted to the first year. No one recognizes me, well one did, told my husband "WOW, just WOW".

Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

PSaadallah
on 9/17/13 12:41 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

As others have said - wish I had known more about Common Channel length before my surgery.  Despite what felt like an enormous amount of research, I didn't realize there were options in CC length.  My surgeon did 150 cm!!  It wasn't even something we discussed before hand.  I am definitely fighting every single pound now at 10 months post op.  

SharonG
on 9/18/13 11:16 am - Arlington, VA

I think a lot of people have discussed what they see as the downside.  Planning the morning bathroom ritual was the biggest downside to me.  I have shared hotel rooms with other people and have learned to 'courtesy flush' and carry spray or light a match.  No one has been so disgusted that they refused to share a room with me again, so I assume it is not too awful.  I have had a few instances where I had to use a public bathroom and heard someone say 'OMG!  it smells like someone died in here!' Embarrassing, but better than the alternative, huh?  BTW, I don't know any non-DSer whose poop smells like roses.

What I wish I knew was that a lot of what seemed like insurmountable issues immediately post op would eventually go away.  I had a few complications the first months that were a result of other work I had done when I had the DS.  Those issues sent me into a panic mode and I assumed they were part of the DS.  Once we were able to resolve those, I was able to see what was really DS related.  I wish I would have known to relax and not worry so much about food in the beginning.  I wish I had focused more on the fact that my body was being nourished with the protein and vitamin supplements and was not in such a rush for all food to feel normal again (it did eventually happen, BTW.  Eating is really normal at 10 1/2 years post op - now I wish for more restriction!).  I wish I had all the knowledge about vitamins and nutrition post DS we have been able to gain as the result of the experiences of many of us.  I wish I would have known that the adaptation of post DS eating would be as much about what was in my head as what was on my plate.  

Just some of my thoughts.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 590 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 963 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views