Confused bmi too high?

MarinaGirl
on 1/30/18 9:31 pm, edited 1/30/18 1:32 pm

Contact Dr. Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric Center for a consult. He is one of the best DS surgeons in Mexico.

PeteA
on 1/31/18 6:20 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Giving him the benefit of the doubt maybe he is just uncertain about performing the DS on you with a high BMI. A skills issue like others mentioned. My surgeon wouldn't do the DS in a single step when I had a BMI of 72. H would have done it in 2 steps, first the VSG and then once I had lost some weight he would do the switch.

I was able to get my BMI down to 66 and he felt comfortable doing both steps at once, He did warn me that depending on what he found when he did the operation he may still have to do 2 steps but it was unlikely. It had more to do with the limitations of laporscopic tools dealing with excess layers of fat around the stomach.

I saw you were thinking about Mexico and a lot of people have had very good results going that way. You might also talk to your Doc about a 2 step process if you can't get down to the BMI he is comfortable with. I found getting down was easier knowing that the end result was the surgery and not just a continuation of the high protein diet.

I hope it all works out,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

PattyL
on 1/31/18 9:13 am

Sorry... I missed the point. Your surgeon is telling you he is not skilled enough to do the OP. RUN!!!!! You should always believe a surgeon when he says he does NOT have the skills.

I second Esquerra in Mexicali!

chevtow41
on 1/31/18 4:58 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Esquerra in MX. I've also heard Greenbaum in NJ has decent cash price.

Babs1972
on 2/1/18 7:25 am

Thanks for all the advice I am reaching out to medical.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 298 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 770 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views