Duodenal switch VS Gastric bypass

PattyL
on 2/3/18 11:25 am, edited 2/3/18 3:27 am

When a surgeon tells you he/she only has the skill level to do the DS in 2 steps...believe them and run. Run straight to a surgeon who can. I met a man in my docs office once that had the whole DS at over 800lbs. There are surgeons right now doing LAP DS on 600lb patients pretty regularly.

Read about regain with the RNY too. In a standard proximal RNY they don't bypass much and around the 2 year mark, your body has adapted and the regain begins. It's a cruel joke!

And BTW postop DS your cholesterol will go straight to the basement! And it cures type 2 diabetes over 95% of the time. Immediately, no weight loss needed!

No way would I EVER just let a surgeon decide what op to do after he opened me up. NEVER< EVER> EVER! Think twice, cut once!

adam101
on 2/3/18 12:30 pm

Ty patty for ur reply, i read a lot abt regain with RNY and many of them change it to DS surgery.

Not very easy to run to another surgeon, the waiting time is too long.. unfortunately the estimated waiting time to meet a barbaric surgeon is too long, otherwise i should go to a private clinic but it's out of my budget.

""No way would I EVER just let a surgeon decide what op to do after he opened me up. NEVER< EVER> EVER! Think twice, cut once!"" ---> I agree 100%, it sounded too weird for me when he told me that.

hollykim
on 2/3/18 4:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 2, 2018 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, adam101 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am new here and i really need your help plz. My height is 5'6", i weigh about 350lbs and bmi is 56. i have HBP, cholesterol and herniated disc in the lower back, not diabetic. i have been on the waiting list for a barriatric surgery for more than 2 years. I had a call from the barriatric clinic a month ago to attend an information session and was given an appointment to meet the doctor 3 weeks later. I didnt have the chance to meet the doctor himself, instead i met another doctor in training working under his supervision, he asked me abt the surgery i prefer to have, i said DS, i tried to know his opinion and if i did the right decision but with no result, he replied nothing to me, he just mentioned something like this surgery is made sometimes in 2 steps and the doc will decide later only during the surgery. Then I met the nutritionist, she tried to convince me to change to the bypass procedure because it's safer in the long term. I left the clinic without being confident that i chose the right surgery for me.

Since i chose DS i have been trying to educate myself more and more abt it and honestly i am so scared of what i heard abt malnutrition, deficiencies, anemia, bone problems and other high risks and complications. I want to be slim but healthy also..

All these complications and others make me very confused abt DS surgery and prefer Gastric bypass, it is more popular and most surgery complications and risks are known by all doctors but the biggest disadvantage that i dont lose more then 65% of excess weight and there is a big percentage to regain weight after 3 years.

I really appreciate all ur answers that can help me to take a decision

Cheers

you need to be aware that decencies will also occur with the bypass. The bypass and the DS are malabsorption surgeries. This is how they work to promote weight loss.

The only surgery that doesn't have deficiencies is a stand alone sleeve.

adam101
on 2/3/18 6:32 pm

U r right 100%.. i understand now better how they work.. but i heard that the calories absorption becomes 100% after 18 months in bypass surgeries n some drs assure that all the calories r absorbed by the body from the early beginning after surgery but the reason behind bypassing is to connect the pouch to the intestine

I am wondering abt DS surgery? the calories absorption last for life or there is some changes?

hollykim
on 2/4/18 6:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 4, 2018 at 2:32 AM Pacific Time, adam101 wrote:

U r right 100%.. i understand now better how they work.. but i heard that the calories absorption becomes 100% after 18 months in bypass surgeries n some drs assure that all the calories r absorbed by the body from the early beginning after surgery but the reason behind bypassing is to connect the pouch to the intestine

I am wondering abt DS surgery? the calories absorption last for life or there is some changes?

malabsorption lasts very long term with the DS. It is hard to say if it is life long, but I believe most ppl find that it is.

adam101
on 2/4/18 8:09 am

hope it is gonna be for life

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/18 6:47 pm
Revision on 01/27/18

I wish I had the DS in 2004 instead of RNY. Actually, had the sleeve been offered, I would have chosen that...then revised to DS if I needed to. As it is, I revised to a distal RNY because options are relatively limited after an RNY. I regained 90 of the 130 I lost...354 to 215 at my lowest, then up, up, up.

adam101
on 2/4/18 9:36 pm

I am really sorry to hear that.. it is a big frustration to gain the weight back after all this long journey..

but u can still revise from RNY to DS i guess..

why didint they offer u the DS from the beginning? was ur bmi too much high to do the DS in one shot or what?

JudiJ51
on 2/5/18 12:05 pm - Hammond, IN

You have to completely educate yourself on both types of surgery since your torn on which way to go. Also its not to late to change your mind if you decide on Roux-en-Y instead of DS once you've educated yourself on both. I can tell you my own experience, my Mom's experience, my friend Patsy's experience, my friend Yvonne's experience, my daughter's experience, my Sister-in-law Donna's experience & my cousin Stephanie's experience! All of us had Roux-en-Y surgery, except for Yvonne who had the Gastric Sleeve. My cousin Stephanie & myself had the open surgery, which means they cut us from breast bone to belly button. She had it in 2002 and I had it in 2003, at that time laparoscopic gastric bypass was considered experimental by the insurance companies. We spent 5 days in the hospital back then. Patsy, Donna & my Mom had their Gastric bypass done laparoscopic, they spent 2 & 3 days in the hospital. All of us are Gastric Bypass success stories, even after all these years! My daughter Jana had it Dec. 2016, she is also a success story. She is down 150 pounds so far. Her surgeon tried to discourage her from having the Roux-en-Y, he wanted her to have the Gastric sleeve. They turned it in to the insurance company as Gastric sleeve, got it approved & scheduled the surgery. She immediately called the surgeon's office & spoke with the nurse. She told her this is not what I asked for, you need to resubmit to the insurance with the correct codes and cancel the Gastric Sleeve surgery. There was about a 2 week delay to get it straightened out, but they handled it. Yvonne had the Gastric Sleeve in September 2016, she hasn't lost anywhere near the weight my daughter has lost and she had it 3 months before her. She is very unhappy with her surgery. You can regain weight from all of the surgeries if you go back to your old eating habits. Yvonne went home the next morning after having surgery. I thought it was a little soon but I'm not a doctor :) Going to Support Group meetings is very helpful, you can learn a lot about the different surgeries. The hospitals in our area all have them and they are required both before and after the surgery. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the Roux-en-Y. I know we all made the right decision for ourselves, except for Yvonne who now wishes she had the Roux-en-Y instead of the Gastric Sleeve. Good luck, keep researching until you feel completely comfortable with your decision.

adam101
on 2/5/18 1:38 pm

ty very much for sharing with us these successful stories, it's very inspiring to hear abt it. I also feel sorry for Yvonne, it's very bad not to have a good result after all what she did. First i was recommended to do a gastric sleeve, but i refused, it is not as effective as DS n RYN. To be honest i always wanted to do the Gastric bypass surgery, never even thought abt DS because of the higher risks n complications related to this type of surgery.. but my bmi is pretty high 56.5 n i should lose around 210lbs to reach my ideal weight, only DS can offer such a big lose of weight and the risk to regain back the weight is much smaller than any other type of surgery.

ty for ur advice, yea i will keep researching till i feel 100% comfortable, i like too much the idea to go to the support group meetings and meet people there n get to know their experience, it can be very helpful n it may change everything

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views