Had my band removed - having bypass next

backformore
on 3/3/12 2:09 pm
Hi everyone.

My band was removed earlier this week. I'd had it for just over 5 years. I never lost very much with the band, and struggled with it from day one. When I went into surgery to have it removed, I was only 20 pounds lighter than when it was put in. Ugh.

My insurance company refused to do a RnY (that is the ONLY surgery they will do) at the same surgery the band was removed. They claim that it put me at a higher risk of infection and death doing the surgery that way.....so, the band is now gone and I'm in pain recovering from the surgery.

Now I have to apply to their bariatric weight loss program to see if I am approved for weight loss surgery all over again (my lap band was self-pay). I feel that is the real reason they would not do the bypass at the same time. They are allll about jumping through the hoops there.

Hopefully I'm not alone. I'm feeling like a failure with the band, and until yesterday, was thinking I should just not do anything else surgery wise. Now that the pain is starting to get better from my band removal surgery, I'm starting to think of the future and how a bypass might be better for me than the band was.

Thanks for listening   :)

dawn4511
on 3/8/12 9:27 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
I'm sorry that the band didn't work out for you. Before you make a decision about rny have you considered all your options? The malabsorption that helps you lose initially in the first couple of years stops having any affect. Without keeping your calories low and following close to a band diet after honeymoon phase you could face gaining it back. Not saying it won't work or don't do it, just look at all your options. I hope what ever decision you make works for this time.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

calhelge
on 3/9/12 3:16 am - West Salem, WI
I am right there with you!  I was banded in May of 2009 and had it  removed (on vacation) in July 2011.  My band was making me sick and  my wieght was either up or down and when it was down it was really down and I was sick!  My stomach had  herniated up through the band and I wasn't able to keep anything down.  I had mixed emotions about having the band removed but it was the right thing to do! 
So, I've now had the band out for almost 8 month, my weight is up, my diabetes is back and I feel like crap.  I had my Lap Band surgery done in the Twin Cities and now I live in the LaCrosse, WI area and I decided to contact the Baratic center at our local clinic.  Once I had all the records from the hospital where I had the surgery and from the hospital where it was removed, my insurance company was contacted and to my suprise I got a green light.  I have to do 3 months of dietitian appointments and hopefully after that I can schedule surgery.
I know that surgery isn't a fix all.  I've worked so hard since my surgery in 2009.  I've walked/ran over 1400 miles, I"ve completed 3 1/2 marathons and will be training for a full marathon in November.  I just want to feel better.  I want my diabetes to go away again.  I want to be healthy again. 
I totally understand about jumping through hoops, it was that way the first time for me.  But, I became a wiser person.  I've learned to stand up for what I believe in.  I know what it feel like to be a WLS failure.   I feel that people judge me for failing but they haven't walked in my shoes...they don't know!!
I hope that your recover is a quick one.  Best of Luck to you!
sable07
on 3/21/12 2:21 pm
Revision on 06/17/13
I was banded in January 2008 and haven't had much success.  I was feeling down too but I know I have options!

Take a look at my recent blog posts...you're not alone!

Good luck!

Sunny
Most Active