Can you gain weight from Chewing "dubble bubble" bubblegum

july J.
on 5/21/12 11:59 pm - philadelphia, PA
please help...... i have picked up a horrible habit of chewing 3 to 6 bags of dubble bubble
bubblegum.... i dont swallow it but i like the sugar taste and chew it for say 1 minute then spit out and put another piece in.... I LITTERALLY CAN CHEW 7 BAGS A DAY......

im afraid the sugar is making me gain weight and sometimes i feel like my pouch is not working anymore... had lap gas bypass feb 2008.. 268lbs... jan. 2011 was 192.... took meridia for 8 moths got down to 166 .... been chewing gum since dec 2011 and today may 2012 im 199lbs
Mell
on 5/24/12 2:49 am
I know for me the sugar can spark other cravings the rest of the day so I have to stay away. But in general sugar has calories so it would add to your daily total. I have the lab band and I know for us chewing gum can cause air to get into our pouches and may cause problems.I would say any habit that is out of control should be controlled. I know I have to completely kick out sugars about 5 times a year and i do it for about two weeks to regain control of myself. Good luck
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/31/12 7:33 am
I tend to eat more and not feel full when i chew the gum.
I also notice that I can't control how much I chew...If I have gum at home - I will chew it.
The sugar in the gum - even if it is only Sugar alcohol may affect you blood sugar - and stimulate weight gain..
if you eat 6 bags - each bag has 15 gums? = 6 x 15=90. each gum has 5-10 calories so that is consuming 90 x 1  or 2 grams oif carbs or or 300-50 extar calories a day.

IMO - You are on a sugar fix with the gum.  You amy need togive it up unless you do not mind gaining more weight..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Susan B.
on 6/1/12 8:00 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
YES!!  of course especially if you are chewing so many bags-why not just eat sugar by the spoonful.

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Terry Cieniewicz
on 6/3/12 9:46 am - Martinez, GA
I would think that yes it can make you gain weight.  3-6 bags has lots of sugar.  I know it is hard but you need to try to quit.  It is an addiction just like any other addiction.  Find help if you need to but stop some how.

sjnils
on 7/17/12 10:15 am - fremont, NE
I do exactly the same thing!  I chew the large bag in a night.  It IS adding weight, at least for me.  I get dumping syndrome with a lot of sugars, but never with the bubblegum. 

It's wierd--when I first had surgery I craved pickles.  I went through so many gallon jars of pickles that first year! 

Then I switched and the pickles don't taste so good anymore, but the bubblegum has gotten out of control. 

Well, I haven't chewed any for a week.  It's a start. 

Hope you can kick the habit.  Sugar does a lot besides weight gain.  It ages you, too.

One thing I can say is that when I went through the therapy (mental) after surgery, my therapist said I eat to assuage stress.  Well, duh.  But she narrowed it down.  She said there were several motions that give people relief from stress.  I don't exactly remember them, but I know one is the action of lifting your arm to your mouth.  That is stress relieving to some people (think drinking alcohol).  The one that I find stress relieving is the act of chewing.  I'm not a therapist, but I'd be willing to bet it's what relieves your stress, too.  The sugary taste is secondary to the act of chewing.  I can't remember the other action she said people do--maybe it's putting the food in the mouth--not sure. Mine is definitely chewing though, so the bubblegum chewing is a stress relief. 
Check and see if you are turning to bubblegum and chewing when you are stressed.  It's worth a try to examine the motives. 
If that's what is happening, try other things to relieve stress.  Find an exercise you like to do--like going for a walk.  I took up bike riding recently.  Very stress relieving. 
I started out at 383 and got down to 225.  I needed to lose 50 more before the removal of the excess skin surgery, and I gained 25 instead because of the gum.  I'm working on it.  I just wi**** hadn't taken me so long.  I just got too comfortable with life being thinner,and I got lax

Well, I know how you feel.  I hope this helps. 
july J.
on 7/18/12 12:11 am - philadelphia, PA
YES THAT HELPED..... I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE....... YOU WERE SO KIND AND I ACTUALLY HAVE STARTED KICKING THE GUM HABIT .....   I WANT TO COMPLETELY BE RID OF IT....  I NOW ONLY ALLOW MYSELF TO CHEW ON WEEKENDS AND SOMETIMES I EVEN FORGET TO BUY A BAG.... SO IT'S SLOWLY GOING AWAY. 
rhearob
on 8/27/12 6:52 pm - TN
 Yes! The sugar dissolves out of the game and you can either swallow the dissolved sugar in your with your salive or salivary amylase ca break it down and absorb through your gums.

Ask yourself WHY are you chewing the gum?  What emotional need is the chewing filling?  Are you seeking the rush of energy that comes from the sugar?  Is it something in your mouth you need?

Then deal with the WHY without the gum.  3-6 bags is excessive.  Those are 15 calories and 4 g of sugar per piece!  Do the math, if you are chewing 100 pieces a day (There are 72 in a 1lb bag) thats 1500 calories and 400g of sugar or almost 1 POUND (0.8) just from chewing gum.  Forget weight loss, do this for your dentist!

Maybe as a start, chew the sugar fre double bubble.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

july J.
on 10/16/12 2:00 am - philadelphia, PA
Thank you so much.... I needed that so much.... and am happy to report that I have given it up and dealt with the real issue going on in my life!
raccoonie59
on 3/19/13 4:46 am - OR

Just would like to know how you did that, counseling ?  And congrats on the success.  

Most Active