Frustrated and struggling

Angierg43
on 6/11/12 4:01 am - TX
At the beginning of my weight loss surgery I weighed 412 lbs. I had the VBG in 2001 and lost 75 lbs and then started to have complications due the fact that the stapled portion of my stomach never closed. After many tests and Drs it was decided to do the gastric bypass to correct it in 2005. From that surgery I got down to 195 lbs. Well know I have over the last 5 years gained about 90 lbs putting me at 280. I have been suffering with severe acid reflux and developed a hernia. I have seen a gastroenterologist and surgeon and its been determined that surgery is the only option to try and improve my reflux and a hiatal hernia. I was also told that my case isnt normal because the bypass should have eliminated the reflux. My dilemna is that the surgeon has indicated I need to lose 60 lbs before he will perform my surgery.  He suggested the liquid protein shake regimen and 3 weeks in I have only lost 10lbs because I have been having problems sticking to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can successfully do this? Emotionally ,I already feel like a failure and getting depressed making me want to give up. But if I dont succeed the result is dealing with this reflux forever. Help!!!
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/12 6:23 am

10 lbs in 3 weeks is a good number - for now.  --- so additional 50 lbs - may take you 3 x 5 = 15 weeks.  That is little more than 3 months,   You can do it.    You know what you need to do... You need to really stick to the plan. It is not easy...but one day at a time - and hope that it will work .  The alternative is living the the severe reflux - and you know that this is not an option.  Sorry you struggle... One day at a time.  Failure is not an option.   (HUGS)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Angierg43
on 6/16/12 7:34 am - TX
Thanks you are right and I am trying to stick to the plan. Recently, was diagnosed with depression and concerned how that is going to play into the weight loss. Scared about the side effects of the medications I am going to have to start taking. Trying to lose this weight is making me do some soul searching and deal with some long standing issues. I wasn't required to have any counseling or support groups prior to my surgeries and I think that I would have probably discovered this sooner. Better late than never but that 50 lbs has got to go because the alternative is too painful. Thanks again for the encouragement.
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/12 2:21 am
Some medication fro depression may help you lose weight- as you get less depressed - you may have more energy to exercise and even eat less. I know when i am depressed - I crave carbs - the carbs do increase serotonin level - so the body craves what it needs.
Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Angierg43
on 6/18/12 5:36 am - TX

Thanks for the information. I am working hard and staying focused while dealing with this new issue. I am determined to succeed on both levels.

Most Active