Complete failure

vl402
on 9/3/13 9:48 am

I was just reading my travel journal that my husband and I keep for trips and in October 1999, I wrote in my journal while in Washington, DC, that "a week from today my life would change".   In reality it did, 102 pounds which then began to slowly creep on. I am now reading my journal about taking another trip now realizing that I have had to go by clothes that are now in the 1x-18 size.  Depressing and honestly feel like I have given up.  My worst habit, wine with diet sprite at night.  Think I have pushed the limit on alcohol.  Look forward to replies, we leave this week for a trip fly-fishing but I am embarrassed as to how I will look to people. 

Becky8933
on 9/4/13 2:20 am - Netherlands

Well, I am also a complete and utter failure of Gastric bypass surgury.

Yes, I gained about 90% of it back from going back to my old eating habits, partying and drinking white wine etc. 

I am trying now to it the right way - exercise eating right.

If I could ....I would tell everyone to skip the surgery and just do the right thing be cause whatever reason made you overeat to begin with ... is still there so after a year or so .. you will fall back into bad habits because you never fixed your head.

There is no gastric bypass to your brain.

Oh well, I am working out and eating well now .. hope to reach my goal by July of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vl402
on 9/4/13 6:52 am
Thanks so much. I am glad to know someone else is going through the same thing. Kudos to you for making it right! I know wine and fast foods have been the culprit. Good luck.
heatherharm
on 9/18/13 8:24 pm - Spain

Hi everyone,

I had my DS back in 2006, and around that time I was on OH a lot.  This week I realised that I am putting weight on.   It has devastated me.    I live in Spain - I am British, and I was lucky enough back then to be able to max out my credit cards to pay for my surgery with the famous Dr Balthasar.  I could not afford any kind of revision,

At the moment I am looking for ways to reverse this wieght gain.   Yes I can really sympathise with you guys - the sweet tooth and carb cravings and yes I am also doing too much wine and sprite!    I dont exercise but I am going to have to now.  I know I am heading into depression.  I have had 6 good years of not worrying - not thinking about my weight - and never worrying about what will fit and wont fit me.     Has anyone been through this?   IS it a case of 'dieting' - or at least eating well and healthy.  With the DS 'fat was my friend',  because supposedly 80% of any fat consumed is not absorbed but my body.    That being the case - and fat being pretty high on the recommended intake list - what should I do?   I cant go to my doctor with this.   I am going to get in touch with Dr Balthasar.  

Any help or wise words welcome.

Heather

heathercard.jpg picture by leaannjohnson

datachick
on 9/10/13 10:32 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I love that I had surgery.  I have changed my head and my habits and my whole life and it wouldn't have been possible without the surgery. I would be disappointed if you "told people to skip the surgery" because you didn't take advantage of the gift.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/13 8:46 am
Maybe after the trip you can go back to your doc or any other bariatric doc to find out if the pouch and stoma are still OK. If yes - then you may try to go back to basic rules - proteins at every meal, no drinking within 30-60 after or during eating, add some exercise and lose the regain... It can be done.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

vl402
on 9/19/13 5:46 am

Thanks for all the post.  Trying to regroup but unfortunately while fly fishing, I sprained left knee and right ankle.  Oh well, this too will heal and hopefully find trainer to "jumpstart" weight loss.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/13 2:07 pm
Before RNY I was a very fit fat person. Diet - proper food combination - then exercise - will help you get back on track. I know that when I exercise real hard - I get very hungry. So ford me .- I need to do the proper diet first - then add exercise while still controlling the diet. (Diet =proper food intake not starvation)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LoriBorealis
on 10/8/13 1:31 pm

I completely failed too ... twice.  First with the Lap band.  Then with the gastric sleeve.  I'm bigger now at almost 300 lbs. than I was when I went in for surgery (275 lbs).  I knew I couldn't quite find the motivation to eat healthy and get my head in the game prior to this last surgery.  (almost like i was so burned out from all the failed dieting attempts that I had nothing left to put into it). I hoped that after the surgery, with the liquid and pureed diets during recovery, I'd fall into right eating habits again. I'd be motivated from the weight loss i was already experiencing.  I would have been off sugar long enough to have a good start to provide motivation.  I was WRONG.  the motivation never came this time.  I felt like a caged tiger and eating healthy felt too hard on most days. Once in awhile I'd have a really good day where it wasn't hard to make the right choices. But that was rare. But I still would try to plan healthy meals. I knew it was up to me to conquer this beast.  and yet,  I still failed.  miserably.  I had given up. 

What I've realized through this horrible, devastating, pain of failure, is that unresolved issues of low self-esteem and giving up on myself too easily have served as barriers to my weight loss.  Barriers that I couldn't quite figure out how to conquer. Don't get me wrong, I knew what I should be doing in my head.  Doing it was another story.  So I'm in therapy now trying to focus on issues of self-hatred, self-worth, etc.

I have found the book "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth to be incredibly helpful. (it's not religious in any sectarian way. if you're an athiest, you might not like it.  for all others, no matter what your spiritual beliefs, she writes so it fits for everybody).  It frees the soul and helps you shift out of the angst and pain.  It's been very helpful.  I'm not healed yet by any means.  but I fully realize that for some of us who fail, our baggage is the reason, and the tool of surgery might not be the end-all, be-all answer that is for others.  Some day I'll look back on all of this struggle and hopefully understand how much of a blessing the pain was in catapulting me toward deeper healing (mentally/emotionally).  Then, I'll hopefully have more days of motivation and ease in the diet/exercise world, and fewer days of feeling consumed by and driven to eat sugar and numb the stress or pain of life. 

It's a journey. A life-long journey. One day at a time.

QoftheU
on 10/17/13 3:49 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Very elegantly stated.

Good Luck to you - I have the same issues and fight them DAILY. Mostly, food wins.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Most Active