no sign of a bypass?!?

mary A.
on 3/31/04 9:12 pm - pittsburgh, PA
i had a roux-en-y done 2 years ago. i lost 130 pounds. last year i began to vomit every so often after i ate my meals. maybe twice a week. this slowly began to increase to at least every day, sometimes twice a day. it became more normal NOT to vomit! as i couldn't keep anything of nutritional value in my system, i began to graze on junk. that, of course, i kept down. but i was losing too much weight. also, i lost my job and insurance and couldn't afford to get tests done to find out what was wrong. from everything that i had read, it looked like an ulcer. my stomach hurt when it was empty, aspirin made it hurt, vomiting, etc. byt the time i did get insured and to my pcp, the vomiting had stopped. you see, i was put on antibiotics for a tooth infection, and then another series for a cold. we figured that it was a bacterial ulcer rather than a gastric. but just to make sure, she ordered an upper g.i. the test showed no sign of an ulcer. and at the end of the report that it should be specifically noted that there is NO sign of any kind of segmentation associated with ANY kind of gastric bypass!!! she went over the report with me, even called the radiologist while i was there, and yes, i have a normal sized stomach. she gave me a copy of the report and i am meeting with the surgeon in may. in the mean time, i asked my doctor about doing an endoscope, and she wasn't sure how that would help, but she okayed it and i'm having it done on april 19. does anyone have any idea whatsoever what might have happend? my old eating habits are back and i'm gaining weight like a barn afire! plase help. thanks.
KIM S.
on 4/3/04 9:58 am - SANFORD, FL
could your stomach have grown back together? That is crazy. I wish you luck! kim
kathymiller04272004
on 4/7/04 11:44 am - North Branch, MI
Hi Mary, Just a suggestion. you may want to get yourself a lawyer. Sounds like the Dr. didnt proform the surgery you had requested 2 yrs ago. I think maybe he may have proformed a banding surgery and your band has broken. maybe you should check into this to see if that is what has happened. I also hear that the staples are disolving staples. maybe he stapled your stomach and didnt cut it to separate it and do the bypass either. just a suggestion, Good luck and God Bless. Kathy Miller
Cathy S.
on 4/18/04 2:22 pm - Owosso, MI
Mary, I had the vomiting like you were talking about also and it did turn out to be an ulcer. I had the H. pyloi that caused the ulcer. (can be check by a simple blood test) I still had problems with after the course of antibotics and they did an endoscope. The endoscope showed I had two openings in my stomach, one to the bypass and one to the old stomach. I have an appt with a new surgeon on May 10th. (can not return to the orginal surgeon, not that I want to, because of insurance) I am, like you, just beside myself. I am gaining weight so fast. All I can do is cry. Let me know what the endoscope comes up with and I will let you know what the surgeon says about mine. Cathy from Michigan [email protected]
Ali M
on 4/21/04 1:48 am - S.E., TX
If your surgeon did not transect your stomach during your original bypass, it is possible to develop a staple line disruption and that could be why no segmentation was found. SLDs are a common reason why people seek a revision. You can either call and ask your surgeon if he transected you back then, or you can request the OR report from the hospital and what he did exactly at each step will be detailed. You will probably have to pay for the report. Transection is best, but not required, so if he only stapled and did not transect, you don't have a malpractice suit, he did not do anything wrong. Some dr.s even today do not transect. Good luck, Ali VBG 1995 revised to RNY 2002 due to SLD
nicole H.
on 5/24/04 2:22 am - Naperville, il
The doctor who did my scope asked me if my stomach was transected? I looked at him and said huh? He said it could have grown back together. I was confused but it had! Nicole Revision/Insurance Approved Surgery Date: TBA
Most Active