I had VBG about 3 1/2 years ago--didn't work

Becky G.
on 4/29/04 11:38 am - Tyrone, PA
I lost about 50 lbs. and hit a major plateau and simply went NO WHERE. Went to my original surgeon who suggested I have a lap RNY and pretty much brushed me off but at that point I began to lose weight on my own (still can't eat meat or lots of other things--didn't really help though) and managed to lose about 70lbs. (I had already gained back that original 50lbs). I thought I was doing great. Guess what? I began to gain again---RAPIDLY. It was horrible. Now I am standing at 345lbs. I am in the process AGAIN of trying to get a RNY---only this time I went to a surgeon that seems to CARE. Dr. Michael Felix of Pitts. Bar. He said NO WAY could I have a lap RNY that I must go through another OPEN procedure and get the OPEN RNY. I go next week to process the rest of what needs to be done, my paperwork will be sent, I will see the nutritionist and I will then get a surgical date. The worst of course is getting the INSURANCE COMPANY TO APPROVE IT. I will be sitting on pins and needles waiting. I know something will go wrong. I have felt like SUCH a failure. BUT the Dr. has told me that the banded surgeries really do not work. Infact his office does NOT do those anymore simply because they DO NOT HAVE A GOOD SUCCESS RATE. My old surgeon was a goof. He simply did not care and HAD NO AFTERCARE PLAN. It was ridiculous. I was left hanging after about two months. I didn't know what was right or wrong. Hopefully if I am approved this time I will have lots of support through this. I hope that everyone out there will get through it the second time and have the success they should've had the FIRST TIME AROUND. GOOD LUCK!!!!!! I will let you all know how things go for me and if the INSURANCE COMPANY has a heart and lets it go through. With MY luck the way it has always been I never get excited until I see it up close and personal!!!!! Take care! Becky
Kitsy I.
on 9/5/04 4:12 am - Vicksburg, MS
Becky, I, too, had a VBG back in 1991 that didn't work. I mean, I lost 82 pounds but I learned how to out eat that surgery and gained back most of my weight. I just had RNY on 4/1 and can eat more than most RNY patients but I am losing and feeling great. Hope your insurance approves you and you can get back on your way to losing! Best of luck to you. Kathy 4/1/04 253/237/185/142
Kathleen P.
on 9/19/04 12:47 am - fond du Lac, wi
HI kATHY i HAD A VBG IN 1988 AND NOW i AM BACK UP THERE.I know how you feel. we are always at war with our bodies and we are the losers. good luck to you. I am looking for a revision also.I hope we both have good luck.. take care Kathleen
Most Active