16 weeks out.when can I have nuts?

ocean999
on 11/21/09 1:11 pm
Hi. My daughter had some complications but now eating better. When did others start eating nuts and how many and what kind? Thx!
Evelyyyyyyn
on 11/26/09 9:24 am - GREENBACK, TN

Hi Ocean,

Everyone's WLS is different.  Even if some people can eat nuts even a few weeks out, others may not be able to have them ever again.  I think I was at least a year out before I even TRIED any kind of nut (except my husband ).  But like your daughter I had some complications afterward and had some issues with strictures which is where the esophogous wants to close up and not let anything pass thru. 
I think the first nuts I tried were actually sunflower seeds, but I'm not sure.  And it wasn't many at a time just because I was afraid of what the outcome might be, when you have issues with food not wanting to stay down it tends to make you a little leary of trying new things.  I can remember thinking "if anyone had told me a year before that I would actually not only NOT want to  eat but be AFRAID of food I would have checked them into the nearest psychiatric ward" lol.  Hope this helps and tell your daughter it WILL get better! :)
ocean999
on 11/26/09 11:03 am
Thx for your reply. She is doing better, but did have strictures and endoscopies, etc.,but hopefully is getting better and the worst is over. Are you all better? How long has it been for you? Thx for your lovely note, and yes, I totally understand that fear because I saw it with her. She is trying more foods now,though,that the stricture is gone. Tough recovery at times from this surgery!!! Take good care of you.
connies60
on 9/16/12 11:40 am - NJ
Im 3 months out, i ate a handful of nuts 2x a week, but dont forget to chew real good.
connies60
on 9/16/12 11:44 am - NJ
to late for me .i already ate them,but thanks for your info..you are definatly right.....and i was eating them for source of protein, but it did turn into habit... i threw them away
Raze
on 12/14/09 10:19 am, edited 12/14/09 10:21 am
my suggestion (from experience) is not to have nuts, period. not unless substantial weighloss has been achieved. has it? if so, a nut is a nut is a nut. how many? not a lot. i started eating nuts 8 months out. they didn't help, lets just put it that way. just my experience

the "protein" bit doesn't really cut it. or the "good fat" argument

they are super high fat and too easily eaten as a snack. you can get down more fat and calories in a handful then you should have all day. or in the case of fats...all week

stick with the meal plan. avoid "snacks" like this for as long as possible, unless you just want to eat several nuts a day. in which case what is the point? if you want a few nuts...have some then stop imo

if you can't make it part of a meal...don't have it. when is the last time you saw "soup & sandwich with a side of nuts" at a restaruant? never

just sayin.' lose some weight first. then if you want junk, eat it. nuts may not be junk food in gerneral, but for someone with WLS early out, they are imo

IMO

Most Active