New to this board - Back & neck exercise for fibro

Kitty_B
on 12/7/07 12:38 am - Englewood, OH
Hi,  I'm new to this board but not to O.H.  Just wanted to say HI to all. I am lucky - I have a great primary care doc and also a great physiatrist.  They really try to keep me comfortable although I have had some major migraines for the past few months with so much back tension, just a mess. Just wanted to pass along an exercise that seems to help with muscle and back tension.  It worsens my sciatica to lay on my stomach, but I do it anyway in hopes that the headaches will be better.  You should check with your own doctor before trying it. I had trigger point injections (3 different occasions, I think) and couldn't tell a major difference, but I wanted to continue trying them.  This last time, I felt a real improvement for about 2 weeks.  Now headaches are coming back but my doctor got me approved for Botox (which I think is used similarly to the trigger point injections except it will paralyze those spazzy muscles).  I'll be trying that next week - am excited but a little scared. Lay face-down on the bed, on the edge of the bed with your shoulder slightly over the edge.  Take a small weight (5 pounds or less, I can barely do 3 pounds) and slowly swing it it from the floor, move it towards your head (in other words, if you were standing up, you would be bring the weight upright above your head).  Then slowly lower it.  Repeat a total of 10 times.  Then slowly swing the weight straight out so it is parallel with the level of the bed, then slowly back to the ground, ten times,  Then slowly move the weight downward toward your feet, then slowly back to the ground, repeat ten times.  Then switch so you can do the same exercises with your other arm. I was SOOOOO sore after doing this, but kept at it twice a day and it does seem to help with the muscle spasms.  I learned it in physical therapy.  Again, ask your doctor before trying it. Kitty
dorthe H.
on 12/7/07 8:28 am - farmington, MN
hi kitty:    thanks for sharing.  i'm so glad the exercises are seeming to help you.  i tried the trigger point injections, too.  mediocre relief the first month, less than that the second.      hope your headaches get better.   happy holidays
DORTHE
     AGING IS INEVITABLE
              GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL!   
Shanana
on 12/9/07 12:32 am - Altavista, VA
Welcome Kitty! I will have to try that exercise. I had the trigger points that helped for a couple months w/ neck/shoulder pain. Dr said that meant they wouldnt work and wouldnt give me more. I told him not to touch the knots anymore if he wasnt going to help me out w/ pain relief, even if it is short lived, better than nothing. I have a ruptured disk too so any pain relief I can get helps. Drugs help sometimes , others not. You would think nothing would hurt on Fentanyl patches and Lortab.  Happy Holidays and welcom again! Hugs, Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

Most Active
Recent Topics