Can't believe I found this board...

adasha
on 1/23/11 2:56 am - Beaumont, TX
I was diagnosed with FMS in 1996.  It wasn't so bad because at the same time I was prescribed Cymbalta for migraine prevental, which we all know is now also prescribed for FMS.  I had RNY in 2003 and still had no issues with it.  In 2009 I had about 6 months of crazy medical issues (MRSA, sinus surgery, then a perforated ulcer resulting in emergency surgery and septic liver and spleen, with 11 days in the hospital on antibiotics).  Since that time, I have never been well.  The fibromyalgia has come on full force and gets worse and worse.  Unfortunately it's all in my arms (mainly), which I need!  I have gone from a functioning single mother of three to a jobless, hopeless, non-functioning couch potato.  I am trying to file for disability and cannot even complete the application - it's so overwhelming.

I know the WLS didn't make it worse, but I did read in the books that a traumatic event can cause it to hit full on.  I believe that's what happened.

I've tried everything.  My doctor has tried everything.  The other day at the pharmacy (no insurance, paying full price) I was getting a Rx filled.  The pharmacist, an angel from Heaven, asked me what all I was taking, printed out some materials, and then made sure I was taking everything I needed for this awful disease.  Here is what it said:

The goal of using medication is to improve sleep and pain tolerance. Patients should receive drug treatments along with exercise, patient education, and behavioral therapies.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta), pregabalin (Lyrica), and milnacipran (Savella) are medications that are approved specifically for treating fibromyalgia.

However, many other drugs are also used to treat the condition, including:

• Anti-seizure drugs - (I take Neurontin - just started - MIRACLE drug!!!!)
  • Other antidepressants - (I take Cymbalta)
  • Muscle relaxants - (He suggested things like Flexeril if necessary)
  • Pain relievers - (Aleve - also helps the absorption of Neurontin)
  • Sleeping aids - (I take Klonipin.  If you don't sleep, you hurt)
Here is the link:
http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/library/contents.html?doc id=000427&doctype=1

Hope this helps.

Lap-RNY-9-30-03  247/127
Live life today like there is no tomorrow!!!!!

Hislady
on 1/23/11 5:13 am - Vancouver, WA

Welcome, sorry you are having such a rough time. Stress of any kind will worsen our fibro, sadly, and who doesn't have stress these days. Thanks for the meds info, I take cymbalta plus morphine and oxycodone for pain but some of mine is from severe arthritis but it helps the fibro too of course. Please post often we can always use more input!

sleepyjules
on 1/26/11 1:04 am - Centrally located in, IL
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I know all to well what you are going through, and would not wi**** upon anyone!  In the last year I went from being a hard working, employed, home owner, and single mom to an unemployed, non-functioning, single mom who lost her home to foreclosure.  I am no longer able to work in my chosen field because it is too taxing on my body.  The exhaustion I have every single day prevents me from even searching for a job.  I struggle with filing for disability because in my head I feel like a 37 yr old woman should be able to work and provide for her family.   That, unfortunately, is not my reality.

I would highly recommend that you consider hiring a disability law firm to assist you in filing for your disability.  Best wishes to you! 

Julie     

Most Active
Recent Topics