Anyone linking Fibro to WLS Realize band surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/13 1:39 am

HELP.  I am at a loss.  Band placed 3 years ago.  This past year I have all over muscle pain and many symptoms thought to be Lupus and first, now probably Fibro.  I want this band out!  Wondering if anyone else has insight?  Wondering if they are related.

Hislady
on 4/30/13 5:55 am - Vancouver, WA

It is thought that fibro can be triggered by trauma or severe stress so having surgery could in theory cause a fibro trigger but it would have shown up much closer to when you had your surgery. I've had fibro since in my teens but it has gotten worse since my band but I'm also in my 60's so it could also be the dreaded old age for me. Some folks have indeed gotten relief by removing their bands but others do not. Fibro is such an odd disease and is affected by so very many things that it is almost impossible to tag a cause.

Once you have it bout all you can do is treat the symptoms and learn how to be "friends" with it. The more you try to fight it the harder it is to deal with. There are several drugs available to treat the pain, lyrica, cymbalta and savella, also some folks get relief with neurontin also. I take cymbalta and neurontin and they seem to help so far and sometimes you have to change meds as your body adjusts to them. If you have any specific questions or concerns feel free to ask, I usually drop by at leaast once a day to check the forum.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 10:53 pm

Thank you so much.  I have been working on making "friends" with Fibro.  It is so odd and has no rhyme nor reason to it.  I have days of feeling almost 100% then days of wanting to sleep all day and everything hurts.  Thank you for you help!

Megan K.
on 9/20/13 4:13 am
RNY on 02/18/13

I was diagnosed with Fibro in the sixth grade.  After years of attempting to live with it, I've come to believe that Fibro is affected by hormones.  My pregnancies have always either made it better or made it excruciating--no happy medium.  On set of puberty was when it was originally began.  When I've been very hormonal it's always been a huge flare. 

I wish you luck in finding what works well for you.  It seems no two fibro patients respond the same.  For me it's been Cymbalta, Tramodol, Lyrica, & Wellbutrin and I've finally have a head on my shoulders, good days, and starting to feel like I have a life--and then I had WLS but that's not what we're discussing.

msmelc
on 11/11/13 12:55 am - Lakewood, CA

my experience with Fibro came 4 years after the band... I think it was more movement, and running that triggered it. I have yet to find that medication helps, what HAS helped is staying warm, and using the hot sauna at the gym, before and after a workout. It relaxes my muscles and then I am not hurting. another thing is, eating VERY healthy... any types of sugars, or a fatty meal, seem to aggravate it.  I know each person is different but changing my diet DRAMATICALLY helped. What I THOUGHT was healthy was really not, at least not for my Fibro... 

I hope this helps...

Most Active
Recent Topics