Gluten free and Fibromyalgia

tjsterch
on 3/17/16 5:30 pm
Revision on 04/18/16

Hi I am new to the site (actually joined because of a surgery I am about to have for something else) BUT I was wondering if anyone has tried a Gluten Free diet that has Fibromyalgia? I got this idea today when I overheard Dr. Oz's guest talking about gluten free and how it helping people that have been suffering with joint pain as well as fibromyalgia. I have tried about every medication available for my FMS. Exercise and stretch. I have tracked it in order to see if I can pinpoint what makes it better or worse (only pinpoint I have come up with is stress makes it worse) but sometimes it comes on with no reason. I would love to get this under control! I have had FMS since 2007.

TJSterch 5'7 SW 284 lbs CW 210 lbs

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

Hislady
on 3/20/16 6:40 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've not heard anything about gluten free helping but there is an anti inflammatory diet that may help. Personally I haven't found any diet to help my fibro. I take Cymbalta and neurontin for the fibro. I also take oxycodone for arthritis which of course helps my fibro too. It is something you just basically have to learn to live with unless you can get stronger narcotic drugs. Some docs will give them with no problem others won't give them for any reason. Losing weight helps some but not everyone. It is a very individualized disease and hits eveyone differently. I wish you the best of luck!

girlsgirlsgirls
on 4/20/16 4:03 pm
VSG on 04/15/16

I stay away from wheat, coffee, refined sugar (really any sugar but I'm not gonna quit fruit), and dairy. The moment I get a flare and want my comfort foods, I know I have to steer clear.  Oh yeah, the biggest pain trigger for me is artificial sweetener, Diet Coke is the worst, it has caffeine and artificial sweetener. I use Stevia (it's a plant and not crazy refined) in everything. Also, see if you can get an rx for lyrica and just give it a try. gabapentin also helps some people. these are not pain meds. they are actually anti-convulsants that can somehow help us mutants with fibro and our mystery nerve pain. I use to have to take oxy on the daily, and these days it's a bad month if I have three flare up days that put me on my back. 

guera75
on 7/13/16 6:49 am - Hanover Park, IL

I have also been diagnosed with Fibro.  I was taking Cymbalta, then Lyrica.  Both of these meds are the devil.  They take years to wean off of too.  I feel so much better going gluten free, and juicing with my Ninja RX Nutribullet.  Not as messy as a juicer.  I have noticed that if I lay around all day I triple my pain.  I now try to get in at least 10,000 steps with my fitbit, and my days are much better!

alicespeaks
on 7/14/16 2:50 am

I've been gluten-free for a few months now. My doctor had suggested going gluten free to ease my fibro pain. When I changed my diet, I did notice that my fatigue was less.  I also found a very good article regarding  the same. http://www.belmarrahealth.com/in-fibromyalgia-patients-going -gluten-free-may-be-a-potential-dietary-intervention-study/

Hope that helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics