Hi

evanorden
on 5/31/05 9:50 am - Suffern, NY
I would just like to know if there are any other EMS or public service type people out there that have had this surgery and how everyone is doing. Eileen
cjhoopty
on 7/20/05 5:42 am
wow, this message board is vacant! I am a certified EMT, had a little, I mean very little experience since certifying in 2002, but I am 3 weeks Post Op and I am doing fine. With my recent bad luck getting into the EMS field, I have always wondered if being heavy was the reason I wasn't hired, so when I lose a substantial amount of weight with this (already lost 27 lbs), I may try again to see if I was right. Think I should sue for prejudice? Anyway, good luck with this!
sellabrations
on 9/9/05 12:09 pm - TAMAQUA, PA
Well this is the board for me...... My name is JoLynne Frie, and I have been a certified EMT since I was 18 (11 yrs ago). I was certified in 3 different states (most recent here in PA). I run with 2 ambulance corps, and am a Medic with Dorney park in Allentown,PA. I noticed a HUGE change in the attitude of my fellow members at my station with the more weight I put on over the past year . Just because I am overweight doesn't mean I don't know my job (and pretty well after 11yrs I must add). I am the mother of 5 children, and am going to school full time to be a nurse (hopefully by this time next year). I have my 1st consult on the 15th of this month in Allentown to consider bypass surgery. I am 70lbs over weight but have had high blood pressure off and on since 2001 (have been put on meds once, and my dr is going to start me again on my next visit). My family dr (who is one of my best friends), does not believe in surgery for weight loss, so that is a problem. Since I am only 29 he has been holding off as long as possible with the BP medication as well. My husband supports me, but is also against surgery for weight loss (even if it means dying sooner). My blood sugar levels are also very unstable (highest only being 180, lowest....within just 3 hours being 60). My family has a history of CHF, Diabetes, High BP, Hypergycemia, and cancer, so with all those odds stacked against me, I think it's time to take control of my life again. My insurance is CHAMPVA (Military), which requires no preauthorization *with proper documentation*. I am VERY scared because I have had numerous surgeries and hate the recovery time (but hey, at least they don't need to remove my gall bladder with this surgery, cause it's already outta there ). Anyway, I could really use some friends and alot of support, so I am hoping I am in the right place.
cjhoopty
on 9/9/05 1:54 pm
I am sorry to hear that you don't have much support in this. I was grateful to be surrounded by family who wanted what was best for me, and ultimately it was MY decision. Maybe you can find another doctor who will help you. A lot of people don't agree with the surgery because they think it's the "easy" way out-- whatever gave them that idea?? Also, a lot of them just have NO idea whatsoever what it's like to struggle with a weight problem. So it's easy for them to say, "well, just don't eat so much and start exercising!" What they don't know, is that we ALL HAVE done that. But to me, the reason why the conventional diets and weightloss programs didn't work, was because there was so much to lose, and since it was SLLLLOOOW, I would become frustrated and give up, not having any motivation to stick to it. Maybe those other methods will work for some, but I know that this was the best decision I have ever made-- and I went into this surgery fully accepting all responsibility of this decision. If I was gonna die, I guess then that would be my time. I just wasn't going to waste my life by stuffing it with food any longer. It was time to make NEW friends. I hope you are able to make the right decsions. It's been a little over 2 months, and I am just 1-2 lbs shy of -60. My pants are falling down-- you can see my face! people have noticed the change, and instead of looks of disgust, they are looks that flatter me. Best wishes to you, keep us all posted!!! ~CJ
Angie M.
on 7/28/05 7:19 pm - Phelan, CA
There MUST be more of us out here! I'm a dispatcher for CDF in SoCal. We do fire/ems. I thoroughly enjoy it and work nights (which isn't bad either!). Well, hope to hear from more folks out here eventually. I actually found the board by accident so maybe more will stumble across it. Angie
Suzanne S.
on 8/2/05 3:03 pm - Livermore, CA
Angie, I am not in this field, but I have a question for you. I just got a medic alert bracelet. It is not the "standard" bracelet. I has silver beads and a single medic alert charm that dangles from the clasp. I am concerned that this doesn't look like a regular medic alert ID and that it might get overlooked during an emergency. I was told that emergency personal look at ALL jewelry. This makes sense to me, since there are so many different options now out there. I've seen macarame'd bracelets, beads, watches, necklaces etc. I just wanted to check with someone in the field to see if this is true. I am also from California, so I thought I would ask you. Thanks for your response, Suzanne
Angie M.
on 8/2/05 4:04 pm - Phelan, CA
Hi Suzanne - I'm not sure since I've never been a medic in the field either. I can ask some of the guys/gals when I go back to work on Fri though. I would imagine as long as it has the medic alert charm on it and it's noticeable, you should be ok. But I'll check with them on what the general census is. Angie
Angie M.
on 8/5/05 5:43 pm - Phelan, CA
Hi Suz... I checked with a medic gal pal of mine and she said that what you have is fine as long as the charm is noticeable. So, yours should be ok. Angie
evanorden
on 8/8/05 10:42 am - Suffern, NY
I have one that has 4 different bands all with crystals and beads I look at everything around a wrist and neck on soemone that can not talk to me. If I didn't trust it I would not have done it myself.
Nomorehunger
on 8/7/05 3:52 am - Forked River, NJ
Hello, I see this message board is not used very much but yes, I had it done I am an EMT in Jersey. A few of us at work had it done over the last several months. We are doing great. How are you? Julia
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ok Looking for medic friends
Medicfem · 1 replies · 290 views
Where is everyone?
StillTammy · 0 replies · 450 views
krystle ????
armywife1469 · 0 replies · 388 views
Firemen's Week in OC, Maryland
KBS-TIA · 0 replies · 757 views