Recent Posts

Jack_Fabulous
on 7/17/11 12:47 am - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
Topic: RE: Ok Looking for medic friends
I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for 14 years but my weight kept going up and I bacame embarrassed about wearing the uniform. I was still able to do everything but it just took a LOT of effort and kept getting harder and harder. My back and knees would cry out in pain after every shift so I made the painful decision to resign from the department. I can't believe I let my weight get in the way of something I loved. 
Medicfem
on 7/30/10 7:14 pm - Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Ok Looking for medic friends
Lets talk about the struggles of lifting post bypass???

I had to do an agility test post coming back from surgery to stay in the department. Literally.... I thought I was going to DIE!
Been a while since my fat butt got on an eliptical! Or squated or dead lifted.
Anybody treating you different after all the weight loss?

Come back?
Unit U
Come back?
Penny the Paramedic        
dehh_68
on 5/11/10 3:39 am
Topic: RE: Where is everyone?
Hello!  Newbie to this group, but not to WLS.  I'm hoping to find some like-minded people to chat with and get to know.

I did post a little blurb about myself linked to a previous post.

:-)  Di
dehh_68
on 5/10/10 11:20 pm
Topic: RE: I agree lets go!!
Greetings All!

I'm a veteran post-op (RNY) and have been in EMS for 4 years, first as a dispatcher then as an EMT on a 911 ambulance.  The demads of our job are many and varied....I cannot imagine doing this job 115 lbs. heavier (amt. I lost and continue to maintain). 

Looking forward to getting to know all of you! :-)

Di
dehh_68
on 5/10/10 11:16 pm
Topic: RE: I have a tenative date
Congrats Robert and Paul!!!!!  You have a tough road ahead, but every step is SO worth the effort.  A new life is just around the corner! 
dehh_68
on 5/10/10 11:13 pm
Topic: RE: On the Go eating
This is such a huge problem for people in our field.  I'm a veteran post-op and been in EMS for 4 years.  I've done pretty well, foodwise, due to several things.  The first is planning!  I work 24-hour shifts on a 911 ambulance so planning is essential! 1)  I have a tote bag  dedicated for hauling my must-haves each and every shift; nuts, scoops of protein powder, several protein bars, instant drink pkts, Splenda, creamer, refillable water bottle, etc. 2)  In my car, I keep bottled water.  I transfer a few to the freezer and then put those in the ambulance to have on hand. 3) I plan meals/snacks.  It's not always practical to plan 3 meals and snacks (becuase we all know we'll not get the chance to sit down and dine as planned), so I do plan for two meals and depend upon my tote bag for snacks.  Yogurt travels well and I put some sugar-free jam in a little rubbermaid container to add.  Makes for a good quick and healthy breakfast (been kooked on Dannon's Greek - plain yogurt). 4) My lastest fix for this meal problem....the good ol' Crock Pot!  I can throw soup, meat, bean, whatever into the crock in the morning and by early evening dinner is done.  My partner and I are ensured a decent meal when WE are ready. 

Key to this issue.....PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!
StillTammy
on 2/5/10 11:47 am - Langley, WA
Topic: Where is everyone?
Looks like it's been awhile since this interest group has been activte.  Time to get it going again!  Where's the Emergency Services folks?  I'm not a Fire Fighter or an EMT, but I do work for a Fire Department as an Emergency Manager.  We are in the Seattle area and our crew is getting ready to do the big climb in the Columbia Tower for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Societies.  69 floors.  They're training almost everyday now.  Even the chief is going up with them.  The team has raise almost $2000.

My biggest contribution will be in the position of photographer and cheerleader.  I'm in no position to do more I'm afraid, but I do what I can.

Anyone else?

T
   Tammy Lee 

jrobichaud
on 1/9/07 10:32 pm - Pepperell, MA
Topic: Help Fight Childhood Cancer Research
Hey everyone, For my third year in a row I am having my head shaved for St Baldricks Day. This is a fundraiser held every year by members of my Fire Department to raise money for childhood cancer research. If you would be interested an making a small donation to help out you can click here and it will direct you to the right spot. http://www.stbaldricks.org/ShaveePhoto.asp?SolNumber=1534019 3 Our annual event will be held on March 14th 2007. If you would like to sign up to be a Shavee go ahead. It has always been a night full of fun and laughs. Thanks for your support, Joshua
PMedic8991
on 8/9/06 10:18 am - Joppatown, MD
Topic: RE: Hi
Hello all! I am a paramedic in Maryland, and I have been doing this for 8 years now...Can't beleive it has been that long! I am an Operations Manager for a national private ambulance company that has several offices in Maryland. I have my surgery in less than 12 hours and I am soooo excited! I am hoping that with this surgery my bosses can take me more seriously...I have two supervisors below me that are making more money than I am...don't know what is going on, but once I lose weight I am hoping to be so active that I make them pay me more! LOL. Alright, enough about me...Hope everyone is doing well!
armywife1469
on 6/23/06 2:55 pm - arvada, CO
Topic: krystle ????
krystle, can i ask u a ? have u had the surgery y et? i saw ur profile and it has a pic of u at like 285, i want to join the fire academy next year after i have my baby but i feel that even after rny i am still to fat i am 5ft tall and 180... did u have to do the cpat or anything and if so is it hard? i just think i am to fat to do it yet. i just got my emt last month. thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ok Looking for medic friends
Medicfem · 1 replies · 291 views
Where is everyone?
StillTammy · 0 replies · 450 views
krystle ????
armywife1469 · 0 replies · 390 views
Firemen's Week in OC, Maryland
KBS-TIA · 0 replies · 763 views