new to the board

Terrie C.
on 6/16/06 10:18 am - Endwell, NY
Hi all, I am 7 weeks post op and feeling very well. I have been low energy but I am getting my energy back and went to join the gym today. About 9 months ago I was working out for about 2 1/2 hours 6 days a week. I did cardio followed by upper body work three days a week and lower body work 3 days a week. I plan on starting weight training very slowly and increasing over time. At this point I am only able to do about 20 mins of cardio. My question is where such I start. I worked with a PT in the past and developed a nice rountine which I built on over time. Now I feel like I am going in cold. I am also concerned that I will push myself to far to fast and end up with an injury. This is an old issue. I love exercising but don't seem to realize when it is time to stop. Anyway, I just wanted to say high and that I think i will like this board. Terrie 366/324/goal 165
Earl C.
on 6/18/06 9:18 am - Circleville, OH
Hi Terrie, Well, you are starting out cold. It's almost impossible to do a specific training program for someone online. There's just no way to gauge their level of fitness, experience, health or anything else. But in general I would say to just start slowly and gradually add to the program. You have trained before, nothing has changed really, the basics still work best. 2.5 hours, 6 days a week might be excessive, even for an OCD training nut like me, especially in the beginning. If you catch yourself going overboard, just remind yourself that if you get hurt or injured because you let your enthusiasm get ahead of you, it will only hold you back, not take you forward toward your goals. When I started back I just did 1 set, then the next week 2 sets, then 3 sets the next wee****il I was doing a full workout...it took 6 months to get back into my full workout. One good thing about starting over after WLS, constant improvement is almost guaranteed...for a few months anyway. Baby Steps. "Inch by inch, it's a cinch, but yard by yard it's hard." - John Powell - Olympic discus thrower
Terrie C.
on 6/20/06 1:05 am - Endwell, NY
Earl, Thanks for the reply. I am doing a good job of taking it slow so far. I will start on the weight tomorrow but I will start with just one set. So far I have been building up my energy with cardio. I am so happy to feel my energy coming back. I will be working with a training to help me get strarted. I just need to make sure it is someone good! Terrie
Earl C.
on 6/20/06 1:30 am - Circleville, OH
That's great Terrie. Getting started is the hardest part. "It's better to wear out than to rust out." Come by the Bodybuilding and Weightlifting board and post your workouts, let us know how your progressing. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bodybuilding_weightlifting/
Most Active