Questions? Please Help?

Sinderela4
on 8/9/06 12:03 am - Philadelphia, PA

I have several questions that I’m hoping I can get some answers to.

As a rule of thumb, should you do weights every other day?  I am currently going to the gym 4 to 5 days a week.  I do cardio every day – 35/40 minutes of usually the bike (have a bad knee and the treadmill – my choice of exercise – sometimes does not like me and I end up having to pain).  I also do all the machines and some free weights but I do them every other day.  Is that the proper way to get the most out of my workout?

Is it better to increase weight or reps?  For instance, on one of the upper body machines, I started out with a weight of 30 and 12 reps.  I had no problem handling that so I increased it to 24 reps.  Then I increased it to 40 lbs. and back down to 12 reps.  Is this the right way to do it?

Can you do the ab machine each day?  Is that considered the same as the upper body weights as far as doing them every other day – if that is the rule of thumb?

Is it okay to do 15/20 minutes on the bike and then 15/20 minutes on the treadmill?  Is it okay to do that everyday?

I appreciate all advice.

Thanks,

Loretta

John White
on 8/9/06 2:08 am - CA
Really depends on what you're training for, but rule of thumb on strength training is excellent form and body mechanics for 12-15 repetitions.  If you're rotating between 3 or 4 exercises, it's ok come back and do another set of 12-15 reps (Excercise A, then B, then C, then D, then repeat).  At first, you can increase the number of times you're repeating the exercise (sets) to three.  After that, increase the weight by a lttile.  Remember, you're going to be doing three sets at the increased weight, so don't jump up more than a little at a time.  Also remember to keep perfect form.  It's easier to do an exercise with bad form. You shouldn't work a specific muscle group more than every other day, which is why some people will train every day, but train different areas on the even and odd days (legs on odd days, upper body on even days for example). Probably shouldn't do an ab machine more than every other day, but if you do crunches, it's ok to go a little more often.  Isometric core excercises can be done every day (example, prone iso abs: http://www.e-weightloss-fitness.com/core_exercises/prone_iso.shtml ).
Sinderela4
on 8/10/06 12:20 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you for your response.  I am currently trying to shake my system up to get back on the losing side.  I’m only 10 months out and I haven’t lost anything for the past 10 weeks.  I stopped exercising for a while – before my 10 week stop, and I just started back up again the end of June.  So I’ve been going strong for at least 4 weeks now. I want to make sure I get all the benefits that I can out of workout and I know very little about exercise.  Unfortunately, the trainer they have at the health club I go to (he is a new one and not the one that initiated me) gives you very little info cause he wants you to employ his services for $50 an hour and he has told a friend of mine that you would need a minimum of a month of training with at least 2 times a week.  Right now I don’t have that kind of $$$ especially since I am going through him to get vitamins.  He has convinced me that he buys from a company that he represents that are a top grade of vitamins.  So one step at a time, but I still need the info now about the exercise.

So again, thank you for your input.

Sandgee
on 8/9/06 2:15 am - boynton beach, FL
Lap Band on 01/24/06 with
Loretta, This is what I do: Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday: 30 minutes on Cybex machines.  30-45 minutes on treadmill at 2.5-3.5 mph. Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 60 minutes swimming laps.  It adds up to about a mile in an hour. Doing the bike then the treadmill is fine as long as you are not feeling any types of pains in your body.  Don't push yourself so much that you dread coming back again. I added reps to the weight work once I hit 25 lbs for upper body and 75 lbs for lower body.  Adding reps and sets has made me tone up more than building bulk, which I would be doing if I kept adding weight.  If you are varying the weight work reps and sets, that is fine, again, as long as you are not in pain. I will not do weight work or ab work every day.  Your muscles need to recover from the work out.  By doing the weight lifting etc, you make small tears in the muscle, they need to heal.   Besides, by varing your workout, you will not get bored and your body will always be "On its toes".

Sandra
 320/255/170

Sinderela4
on 8/10/06 12:42 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks for your help.  I have worked myself up to 35 minutes on the bike.  I am currently at 8.20 miles and a majority of the time I am at 14.0 mph.  Sometimes above that and in the beginning, a little below that.  I am trying to increase my distance and keep the time the same right now. I hear so many conflicting things out there that I’m not sure what is right and what is not.  I didn’t realize that by increasing weight, I would be, in essence, increasing muscle and “bulking up” in the long run.  Definitely makes sense. I so appreciate your help.  Thanks!

JeremyGentles
on 8/9/06 4:30 am - Johnson City, TN

Loretta,

How are you? Good to see you using the new forum. Keep it up.

Ok, yes it is good to use a combination of free weights and machines but know that free weights are superior and more functional. In other words, if you enjoy using free weights, use them more often. And yes every other day is an appropriate way to resistance train.

As another individuals who had posted a reply, increasing the weight which reduces the number of reps you can do will be more beneficial, generally speaking. Some people will tell you 12-15, others will say 10-12 or 10-15, etc.....Lets group them all together and say 8-15 repetitions. If you resistance train in that repetition range you are doing well.

DO your abs the same way you train any other body part. It is no different. many people say they do abs everyday.....don't be one of those people.  It is most certainly ok to do 15/20 minutes of the bike and treadmill everyday.  Keep it up! Sounds like you are doing great.  I will soon be posting new, more advanced exercise programs so stay tuned.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Sinderela4
on 8/10/06 1:11 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you, Jeremy, for your input.  It is so appreciated! I’m doing okay, just somewhat concerned over my 10 week plateau.  I am trying so hard to “make” my body begin to lose again and I am trying to absorb all that I can to aid me in making the best of my efforts.  I have cut my fats in half because I didn’t realize that I was taking in more than some of the other members in my support groups.  I also was only drinking about 16 oz. of fluid a day and that is in addition to my one cup of decaf coffee.  I got a lot of “noise” from my support group ‘cause it seems they all drink lots of fluid during the day.  So now I am drinking at least 64 oz. of flavored water a day (non-caloric).  Just started doing that on Monday after one of my support group meetings on Saturday.  That goes the same for the cutting of the fat grams – doing that since Monday. I started the exercise program over a month ago and in spite of my efforts for the past month – there is still no movement on the scale.  I do have a Doctor’s appointment in 2 weeks and I will have blood work done to make sure there is no chemical reason for the plateau.  It is just discouraging when you know you are doing everything the way you are supposed to and yet the scale is not moving.  And I wouldn’t mind if it was 4 or 6 weeks but it’s now up to 10 weeks.  But I will be pro-active because I must! Thanks for your help. Loretta

John White
on 8/10/06 2:42 am - CA
I think it takes time to see the benefit from working out if you're -only- looking at the scale.  At first you tone up, gain muscle, and do more re-arranging than weight loss.  However, you clothes should fit better and your mesurements will change. Muscle is heavier than fat. Adding muscle raises your base metabolism, meaning you burn more calories just sitting around.
Kari M.
on 8/9/06 6:39 am - Pasadena, CA
i've been working out with a coach and he's got me coming to the gym 4 days a week for a 30 min. cardio session, an hour of weights and 30 min. of abs and pilates/yoga. i divide my weight workout so i'm doing bicepts/tricepts/chest mondays and wed. and legs/back/shoulders on tues./thursdays. i do lower weight amounts and do two reps. of 20 instead of 3 reps of 10 at a higher weight. so far, i've dropped a size in clothes and 7 lbs. and it's only been about a month into the program!
Sinderela4
on 8/10/06 1:18 am - Philadelphia, PA

YEAH!!!!! for you.  I keep seeing the results that the addition of exercise can have so I will continue to keep forging ahead in my efforts. I only get in about 20 minutes of weights so I am going to increase that by doing more free weight exercises.  I know that you can get more of a benefit from that and my problem areas are my upper arms and upper body.  I don’t have much lose skin so far on my lower body.  Sad to say that my breast are going south and if size of the arms could determine flight, I would be up in the air right now! Thanks for your response and keep up the good work! Loretta

Most Active