Suggestions for Water Aerobics

MaggieAnn
on 8/8/06 9:51 am - IL
We recently bought an above-ground pool.  Any suggestions for exercises I can do in the water.  Are there any DVDs available to watch to see what would be good aqua aerobics?  Thanks.
Earl C.
on 8/8/06 12:55 pm - Circleville, OH
Hi Maggie, Pool workouts are great. I use them all the time for flexiblity and recovery workouts. Just fast walking in a pool is great exercises. You'll be surprised how hard it is on the abs, especially if you raise your knees high. I mainly do a kind of fly for my chest and reverse fly for my back. I kind of sit in the water and float. It's almost like swimming but I'm in a seated position. Hard to explain. Just make stuff up and have fun. I do curls and pushdowns and rotator cuff work too. Water provides a lot of positive resistance without the negative resistance that makes you sore. Good Luck. Earl
Kat C
on 8/8/06 3:19 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
It's been awhile since I did any real water exercise, but here are a few things I remember doing: Lots of great stretches - you can face the side, hold on, put your feet down low, close together, far apart, up high on the wall close & far, then stretch yourself back while holding on. Limitless variations to stretch everything you can think of. Ab work: you can stand with your back against the side, arms out to your sides, holding onto the edge. Then put your feet together on the bottom. Hold on with hands and LIFT the legs together. Careful of your back on this one. Think about pressing your spine into the side as you lift. How deep is your pool? If you can sit on a noodle & get free of the bottom (float) you can get a decent cardio workout - put on some music, and "bike ride" with your legs while straddling a noodle. Use your arms in the water swim-style (alternating or together) to pull yourself around the perimeter of the pool bike-ride-style. Reverse directions to hit all muscles evenly on any of these that you try. Just walking round and round your pool, you can get a great cardio workout also. Have fun! Kathy
enok
on 8/8/06 11:09 pm
Hey. That will be great. Make sure you drink lots of water because you won't even realize how hard you are working. I have taken all different kinds of water aerobics classes and even taught a few. (not certified yet tho). The cheapest route for resistance is to buy some of those "noodles" the kids use and cut them into weights. That works well. Also one long one to put behind your back and do crunches. Don't forget to warm those muscles up first then get going. Do some stretching and a cooldown too.  If you get really into it,  I have a belt for deep water workouts, shoes, real water weights and resistance gloves.  There are many places online to buy the equip if you decide to go that route. They also have video and audio tapes.  I like just to make myself a CD and keep moving!  I had abdominoplasty in June so I have really been missing it this summer. Have FUN!   I am jealous.  LOL
Most Active