Body Fat % Target

JohnL
on 8/24/06 11:12 pm - Sussex, WI
Hey guys I am a few days short of my 5 month anniversary and I had a physical evaluation at the fitness center I belong to this morning. They do everything from flexibility to measurements to resting heart rate to body fat %. I had one done prior to surgery and my body fat was @ 35.5% of my body. I now am at 20.3%. When I asked where I should be the trainer looked at a chart and said average for my age 35 and height 5'10" is 15-21%. I am just curious to see if you guys watch this and what you have seen as a target %? I do not want to stop losing and don't feel like I am even close to done because I see plenty of abdominal fat yet but I also do not want to set unrealistic expectations. Losing 15 points in body fat is encouraging and feels great but I am wondering if I target 15% how long will the next 5 points take? Also I have not yet starting lifting / strength training it has all been cardio, usually 6 days a week. The trainer is also putting together a 3 day a week strength plan that I am hoping will help build more muscle and move the body fat percentage down. I am on cloud nine today after this set of farts. Measurements were staggering waist went from 52.75 to 36, weight dropped from 330 to 211.5, and the body fat decrease made me smile. Any feedback you guys have on a good target for body fat %'s I would appreciate Thanks John
JeremyGentles
on 8/25/06 1:15 am - Johnson City, TN

John, First of all let me say, "CONGRATS." The last time I responded to a post of yours I do remember that you were feeling a bit discouraged.....it is really great to see you are more enouraged as a result of the latest news.  A healthy and achievable body fat percentage would be 15-18%. Males can get down to about 12-13% and remain healthy, but this is difficult to do for most anyone. Try to get under 18% or so and I think you will be pleased with the results.

Once you do start resistance training this will help tremendously in your quest to get your body fat percentage a bit lower. Let me also say though, that your body fat percentage is within normal and healthy limits right now; but as said before, you could get it down further.  Keep up the great work and add that weight training into the mix as sson as possible.  Jeremy Gentles, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional

Cards Fan
on 8/25/06 4:37 am
John, Here is the information that I was provided at my last Body Composition test...the Bod Pod was the instrument used for this reading. Risky (high body fat) >30% Excess Fat 21-30% Moderately Lean 13-20% Lean 9-12% Ultra Lean 5-8% Risky (low body fat) 
In my profile around the month of May 2006 entry, there is a rundown of my experience with the Bod Pod...it was really interesting how it worked. It is hailed to be the most accurate of the Body Composition measurements - whether that's true or not, who knows. From what I've been told the readings with calipers and the ones in the submersion tanks are relatively close together in terms of results. My reading in the Bod Pod back in mid-May was 16.9% body fat. Since that time while I've dropped an additional 5 pounds, I've seen significant increases in arms and chest and slight increases in the thighs and calves. My target is 12-13% body fat and while it's time to get another reading, I should be approaching that target now. As far as what anyone should shoot for, I think that's up to personal preference, but for folks who were once in the Risky category (>30%) or like me who was in the "You Must Be Kidding" category, Moderately Lean (13-20%) is a good range to shoot for.   Cards Fan Springfield, MO
julieohio
on 8/25/06 10:03 am - Gahanna, OH

Hi John, You have great advice from the men on this board but I do have a little to add. I had a caliper test done and a week or so later a bod pod test as cards fan mentioned.  The difference in the 2 tests was 8% I was amazed and disappointed. Since the caliper test was so much more generous. I talked to the practitioner who performed the bod pad and she was not surprised by the difference since the caliper test likely took the readings from areas where muscle is more easily built.

I hope this makes sense. I just don’t want you to think you have one thing when it is actually something else.

One other thing, the bod pod only cost about 25 dollars here in Columbus . Julie

Most Active