First day at the gym

kelly H.
on 11/3/06 12:51 am - Beaverton, MI
Today was my first day at the gym.  I haven't been in years.  I am 2 months postop RNY.  I walked 20 mins on the treadmill at 2.9 mph then increase to a jog for about 4 minutes.  I did 5 mins on the elliptical machine and then they showed me 5 different machines that mainly worked the lats, pecs, and shoulders.  I really don't want to gain alot of muscle, but tone these spots.  Any suggestions on a workout.  I started at 275 and have lost 45 pounds so far.  My eating habits are getting better, but I don't get in the 60 gms of protein a day yet.  Thanks for all your help! Kelly
John White
on 11/6/06 11:05 am - CA
My cardio suggestion is that you buy the cheapest polar heartrate monitor that you can get (the FS1 for $50 right now).  Use the polar web site to calculate your training zones, then wear the HRM while you work out on the treadmill/elliptical/whatever.  It's the only way to know whether you're working hard enough (or too hard).  It revolutionized my cardio. Also, on any life fitness equipment, the Polar HRM will broadcast your heartrate to the machine so you don't have to hold on to the sensor all the time.
Most Active