Help for a beginner

Tammy T.
on 11/3/06 4:45 pm - TX

I am horribly out of shape, and I have not been exercising since I had my surgery in February.  I am determined to get up and get busy. So, today my husband and I joined the gym.  I have also been reading some info about the Couch to 5K that looks like it would keep me pretty motivated. Has anyone done this? Is it appropriate for someone who is just beginning to exercise and has done absolutely nothing? I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I like the fact that it has a schedule to follow, and I feel that this would keep me on track.  I have always been so intimidated by gyms and exercise in general, but I know I have to do this.  Any advice on where or how to get started?  Thanks:-)

2Rbetterthan1
on 11/6/06 4:36 am - Newnan, GA
I downloaded the podcast for the couch to 5k and listened to it this morning.  I have been jogging for a few months so It was slow for me.  but It going to be great for my dh.  We are going to to a 5k this cominng spring and It  great for motivation.  The first session has you walking for 90 sec then running for 1 min in intervals.  I would recommend it. Good luck Leann 225/133/125
Tammy T.
on 11/6/06 4:57 pm - TX
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see that it is recommended.  I think I want to start out walking for about a month and then start it because I am so out of shape. I plan to start it the first week of December. I'm trying to heckle people I know into doing it with me, but I haven't had any takers yet. I did notice on one web site that they said if you go ahead and sign up for a 5K, that will keep you motivated. I noticed there is one in my area during the first week of February. I may sign up for it. Thanks so much for answering my post. It's motivating to see someone else who is doing it.
marsh76367
on 11/13/06 11:38 pm - IOWA PARK, TX
I'm only 1 month post op, and because I was so out of shape I tried to find something I could do and stick to, even at my high weight.  I've been doing warm water aerobics  and let me tell you, it feels wonderful.  If you have access to a YMCA or a gym with a heated pool, try it out.  My daughters go to speech therapy, and the center they go to has all kinds of physical therapy offered there, plus you can join as a gym member and work out on the equipment and take the water classes-- that's how I got into it.  Check into your local rehab centers to see if they offer it.  It is low impact on your joints, but you do get a workout.   Not only that, my stress level has gone down so much-- the water is relaxing.  (oh, and I'm probably the youngest there by 30 years!  LOL.)  Nobody cares what you look like in a bathing suit either, there are all sizes and shapes and physical fitness levels there. 
Most Active