Hiker New to Fitness Board

A10sFrau
on 11/5/06 8:29 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi All, I have posted primarily to the VA Board for over a year. Today I posted a question to the Singles Board that actually involved exercise--so I thought I'd see if there is a fitness board, and presto--here you all are. Are any of you hikers/trail runners? I am trying hard to find a group in my part of VA, but I really have no one of whom I can ask questions. Did read the question that is posted now about crashing after exercise, which has plagued me. When I hike 3 miles I have no prob. When I go 6 miles, like today, I seemed a little dizzy/light headed after about 4 miles. I slept for 1 1/2 hours when I returned. I had had one protein drink in the a.m., 1/2 c cottage cheese and some Waldorf salad before I left to hike. While hiking I ate 2 small Slim Jims for protein and had plenty of water. From Jeremy's answer I see I am concentrating too muchon protein and not enough on carbs. Carbs which I have been avoiding. I tried to get nutritional info from my nut. last time I visited the doctor. They are less than helpful--seem to know about subsistance, but nothing about exercise and nutrition. I hope to learn more about the nutrition aspect of fitness and also find some more hikers here. Thanks, will be hanging around now, Lois
JeremyGentles
on 11/8/06 6:14 am - Johnson City, TN
Lois, Glad you found us here. Hope to help you more in the future!

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Most Active