Exercize balls and what to do with them?

wkrecio
on 2/21/07 8:46 am
Hi All.... This is actually my first time on this Board (but certainly NOT my last!).  I had my RNY last Sept 29th and am so excited to be able to exercize.  I've been exercizing for several months now.  I even joined my local YMCA.  It's the first time I've ever joined a gym.  We had an orientation and I understand most everything except....  those exercize balls.  I mean the big ones that you balance yourself on?  I'm not even sure what they are officially called.  Anyway, how do I find out what to do with them?  Is there a website somewhere or a book I can buy?  Because this is my first time on this Board, please forgive me if this question has been asked & answered so many times before.  But please indulge me because I think I'd like to start utilizing those balls.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! WK
Neecee O.
on 2/21/07 8:47 pm, edited 2/21/07 8:56 pm - CA
Hi WK!  I love my ball. It works your body more cuz you work to stay stable on it and use more fine muscles. Basically, I use it like a weight bench - do crunches on it, dumbell fly moves (no dumbells, only arm weights), push ups on it (balance feet on it, arms on floor like a table).  i also work along with an exercise show (fit tv channel on cable), using arms mainly. I place my feet against my couch or hearth to stabilize myself.  I am sure there are websites about exercises to  do on it - plug in stability ball into google and see what you get.   Ask at the Y, too.  Go to a used book store and see if they have any books for cheap! Pictures help.  I get a lot of ideas out of magazines:  shape, men's health, yoga journal, etc.  Check it out at the gym, then buy one for the house!  They are cheap. Good luck and come back and give us a report!
Sweet_Mammy
on 2/23/07 5:26 am - Norwalk, CT
OOO I was in the library getting a book on training and exersizes... and there was a book all about things to do on the ball.... I sure wish I could remember the name of it!  But go to your local library and check out that they have!!!  I got a great book called fitness for Woman.  Also I just bought woman's Day Training guide... its got alot of good stuff in there! Good Luck Sweet Mammy

"to whom is given much, much more is required"

CathyP
on 4/3/07 11:33 pm, edited 4/3/07 11:34 pm - Fort Myers, FL
I agree with the above poster - I found an excellent DVD on how to use the exercise ball at my library. I also found an exercise ball DVD for less than $10.00 at Barnes and Nobles. You can also go online to www.sparkpeople.com. You can join for free and they have wonderful videos that show you how to do many, many different exercises. They also have longer videos that walk you through different things. I love their 15 Minute Desk Workout. I think that they have a 15 Minute Ball Workout too. The website is FANTASTIC!!! You can pick up excellent and very inexpensive exercise balls at stores like Sports Authority. Mine came with a training DVD which is very helpful (as well as a pump to blow the ball up easily).
Most Active