Problem with Running

Maryland
on 2/28/07 4:59 am - Rockville, MD
I am 56 years old and 173 pounds.  I like to jog/walk on the treadmill at the gym.  I would like to gradually increase the running component, but I find that after a minute or so (3 at the max) my heart rate is up so high (165+) I have to drop back to walking.  I can run at speeds up to 5.5 for a short time, and at about 4.3 for a little longer. I guess I am making some progress, but it's really slow.  I have read the on-line tips for beginning runners (run a minute, walk a minute, etc.) but I don't seem to be making as much progress. Is this normal for my age?  I know a lot of runners have started at my age or older.  Is there anything I should be doing?   I also have borderline high blood pressure (don't know why - doesn't run in family).  Could these be related? Any ideas welcome!
julieohio
on 3/1/07 7:47 pm - Gahanna, OH
Hi there, I have been running a bit, I started out walking right after surgery and I walked a half marathon last April. This year, I hope to run more of it than I walk.  Someone told me about this program at runners world.com called couch to 5k. I started doing that but really doing only the 20 minutes a day recommended by the program. I did do other cross training, spinning, weight lifting, elliptical. but I only did the recommended run/walking.  How do you check your heart rate? Do you use a Polar monitor or the hand rails on the treadmill? I think the hand method is not as accurate. It is a 6 week program and I never really finished it since I started my half marathon training after about a month of the program. However. I started that in early December and the other day I ran/walked 8 miles and ran a total of 5 of those miles. 3 without stopping to walk.  I am 49 and was never really a runner in the past. My surgery was almost 2 years ago and I weigh about 185 pounds. I hope this info helps you. Good luck with your running, you will amaze yourself.  Julie
Rob S.
on 3/2/07 2:01 am - DE
I am 53 years old and closing in on 4 years since my bypass.   I started running last year in combination with cycling.  I have never been a runner. I find progress was slow, but the best thing to do is to either pick a set number of minutes, or set distance and stick to it for awhile.  Weekly you should try and pick up your walking pace.  You can follow the couch to 5k routine.  Eventually you are walking so fast that you want to turn it into a jog.  Get yourself a pair of Nike+ with an ipod Nano, or a Polar watch, or both, to help keep the pace.  Try the walk a minute run a minute, then walk a minute run two minutes, and so on.  You'll notice a gradual improvement.  Rome wasn't built in a day and we are still paying for years of body neglect.  The important thing is to make it fun so that you keep coming back to it. I'm doing my first outdoor 5k for 2007 tomorrow.  They are always fun.  After you get the first one in for the year you have your time to beat for the rest of the year.   As far as heart rate, you should consult both a physical trainer and your physician.  160's does not sound that bad to me, but you need to understand your zones and intensity. Good luck, Rob from DE
Most Active