Help, where do I start?

Blue_77
on 3/28/07 9:04 am

Where or what should I begin with at the gym.  I am 29, 300lbs, and 3 months post op.   Any advice...?

BLUE  

Carla W.
on 3/28/07 11:57 am - CA
RNY on 05/08/06 with
At 3 months out u need to start with some simple cardio training. do this by using the treadmill and increase the amount and speed that you can go for. You should be able to do 2 to 3 miles for per hour now. if your knees are bad try the ellipitical.. it has less impact on them and is a little easier on you. Build up you endurance on this.

If your gym offers water areobics join that for now.. it will help you get some strenght going and deminish the pressure on your joints.

Do superset training... look up the info on the internet.. it works on improving your strength, endurance and promotes cardio increase that is what you are trying for. The idea is to do more reps with more things faster to keep the cardio up. It uses lighter weights, reduces injury and increases your metablolism so you burn more calories. Take it slow at first.. do one area at a time each day.. for instance.. arms and back.. than do hips and legs the next day.. calves and shoulders the next day. until you become stronger.. than you can incorperate more than one area in and build up you time and reps. You are not trying to build so take it easy. at this point you want to tone, shape and reduce weight while making your muscles stronger.

Good luck...

Blue_77
on 3/29/07 2:51 am
Thank you so much for the information.  I have no problems with my knees or anything for that matter (lucky me!)   I will look into taking the water aerobics class at a local pool and  I'll research the "superset" training too.  Thanks again!
BLUE  

Chris G.
on 4/8/07 11:34 am, edited 4/8/07 11:38 am
Congrats!  I would begin by doing some aerobic exercise (walking, swimming, the water aerobics).  Aerobic exercise is how your body mobilizes the fat cells to burn.  I recommend 45 minutes of light aerobic exercise at first and gradually increase to an hour daily.   A good intensity is one where you can hold a normal conversation while you're exercising...you don't have to jog or even run. Also, spacing out your aerobic exercise and your weight training is good advice if you want to benefit from the strength training regimen.  Give your body an hour or even more if you're able to.  If you don't have 2 different times of day which you can devote to working out, then try to alternate days.  As far as weights go, go slow and light and don't over-do it.  Generally, I believe that for the first week people should do 10-12 reps of each exercise for 1 set.   At the end of the first week, you could increase to 2 sets of 10-15 reps.  Some basic exercises: Arms: -Curls (Place your arms on top of your thighs and bring the weight up; then control the weight back down) -Tricep Extensions (Sit on a flat bench holding 2 light dumbbells with an overhand grip. Lie back so that the top of your head is even with the end of the bench. At the same time, extend your arms over your head so that the bar is directly over your eyes. Keep your elbows tight and your upper arms stationary throughout the exercise. Holding your upper arms in a fixed position (this is key), slowly lower the bar until it almost touches your forehead. Then press the bar back up) Abs: -Plank (Place body into push-up position then go down onto your forearms.  Contract and hold for 4 seconds then relax for 1 rep) -Side bends (Grab a 2-5 pound dumbbell in each hand and raise them overhead. Straighten your arms and hold them shoulder-width apart, palms facing forward.  Keeping your knees straight, lean as far to the right as possible without bending your elbows or bringing the dumbbells closer together. Once you've gone as far as possible maintaining perfect form, pause before bringing the weights back to start for 1 rep. Repeat to the left. Legs: -Wall sits (Stand with your back against a wall with feet shoulder width apart and lower yourself until your thighs are perpendicular to the ground and hold for as long as comfortable for 1 set) -Squats (Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and lower yourself to the ground then raise yourself for 1 rep) Those are just some exercises that you may want to try at first...there are tons of exercises when you get bored with these.  Try some of these and keep me posted on how you are doing.  Good luck!
Blue_77
on 4/9/07 1:41 am
This is such great information and advice.  Thanks for taking the time to share.  I will keep you updated on how it goes.  Thanks again. 
BLUE  

Most Active