Neck exercises???

Judy B.
on 4/6/07 9:20 am - Marion, VA
HI everyone I am new to this board!  It is such a great board to have, I didn't realize it was here til now.  I have a question.  Are there any exercises I can do to tighten my neck under my chin? I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find any yet.  I appreciate the feedback in advance. JudyB

RNY (8-15-05)
Tummy Tuck (anchor cut) [6-19-07]

shoegirl1023
on 4/6/07 10:44 pm - Solon, OH
IF THERE ARE, I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THEM ALSO!! AS I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE!!

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Judy B.
on 4/7/07 12:41 am - Marion, VA
Hi Joanne I found the following on http://www.worldwidebeautystore.com   I have started it and am hoping it works..Mine isn't too bad, but I want to tone those muscles up if I can.  Hope this helps ya!

C H I N

CHIN LIFT: Targets the mentalis, the muscles in the chin. Take your three center fingers, pull the chin down; and at the same time – curl the lower lip over the bottom teeth. TONGUE PRESS: Targets the muscle directly under the chin. The purpose of this exercise is to alleviate double chin. Lace your fingers together, leaving your thumbs sticking out. Push up on the chin with your thumbs. At the same time, press your tongue to the roof of your mouth. This will cause the your chin muscle to push against your thumbs.

Return To The Top

N E C K

HEAD RAISER: Targets the sternocleidomastiodeus, the major muscle of the neck. When this muscle is increased in size, it elongates the neck, which firms and smoothes the side of the neck. Lie face up on a bed and hang your head over the edge. Slowly raise your head in line with your body and then lower your head back down again. For this exercise, do three sets of five, rather than 10 sets to the count of six. There you have it! A few minutes of facial and neck exercise before bed can save you thousands of dollars in cosmetic surgery bills, while improving and maintaining a more youthful appearance at any age

RNY (8-15-05)

Judy B.
on 4/7/07 12:44 am - Marion, VA

I also ended up finding this as I continued with my searching over a period of hours and hours. Step 1 Lift chin slightly upward.

Step 2 With flat point of index and middle fingers press against indentation (hollow) formed by the two upper nodules of the larynx located at the curve from chin to neck. Do not be concerned in the beginning as to the precise location of pressure which you will discover through practice. Regard finger pressure as the resistance against the working muscles. 

Step 3 Now press your back teeth firmly together * and while maintaining this position.

Step 4 Press the tip of your tongue against the inside of lower front teeth (gum line) increasing pressure with the tip of tongue ** in 10 or more gradual and definite steps (Count to 10). 

Step 5 Hold end position of pressure for 6 seconds (count slowly to six). 

Step 6 Release muscle work for 10 gradual steps (count to 10). 

Step 7 Remove finger resistance.      Repeat 4 more times.

RNY (8-15-05)

shoegirl1023
on 4/7/07 3:36 am - Solon, OH
Thanks Judy, I will give them a try. It's cheaper and less dangerous!!

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Earl C.
on 4/7/07 5:51 am - Circleville, OH

Here's a link that has a few basic exercises for the neck. There aren't that many really. I use the 4 way neck machine at the gym or a neck harness I've had since High School.  Best one for the turkey neck syndrome is just lie on you back, head off the end of a flat bench. Fold up a towel and place it on your forehead and put a barbell plate or dumbbell on the plate. You really don't have to go heavy. 5  pounds is plenty to start with. They just raise you head like you're touching your chin to your chest and lower slowely by extending you head back. Do I reps like 15 or 20 per set. 2 or 3 sets is all you need 2 or 3 days a week. There are some in the article where  you just stand and use your hand for pressure. They work great too. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/weik42.htm

marsh76367
on 4/12/07 6:11 am - IOWA PARK, TX
ok, this is pretty low tech, but we do this in water aerobics for neck toning.  Tilt your head up to look at the ceiling, straight up.  Stretch your mouth out wide.  Repeat AEIOUYX three times.   Then do the same thing tilting it upward and diagonally. then Tilt your chin down to the diagonal (touch the right shoulder, hold til count of 10, then touch the left shoulder, count to 10. 
Most Active