Dealing with loose skin while running

Laurie Y.
on 1/29/08 4:04 am - Pelham, AL
I'm 4 years post-op tomorrow, down about 200 pounds, and I'm running my first 5k next Saturday.   I can already cover the distance (yeah me!) but the longer and faster I run, the more the loose skin all over my body is becoming a very bouncy problem.   I've also had a terrible time finding running clothes not only that fit me correctly (I wear a 14 or 16), but also that cover me up enough so that I'm not so self-conscious I want to hide in the bushes.   Cap sleeve shirts and short shorts are the bane of my existence both because they not only show all the loose skin but because they also let it bounce around so much, which is more than a little uncomfortable.    For sports bras, I love the Champion ones.   I'm not particularly well endowed, so they fit me perfectly - that's the one piece of exercise clothing that I've conquered!   Everything else has me stumped.   Anything clothing suggestions? Thanks! Laurie
Deanna34
on 1/29/08 5:12 am - Salem, OR
I am sooooo right there with you on running clothes!  I tell you, if I knew how to go into business for myself, I would market exercise clothing for NORMAL people!  I would love a pair of shorts that came down to the top of my knee.  A shirt that has short sleeves that goes to my elbow.  Or shirts that go all the way down to my hips.  Those clothes that are out there now are not for normal people!!! I have found that Adidas clothing is more comfortable than Nike, for me anyway.  And sometimes the Adidas shirts are cut slightly longer in length than others.  Other than that, I can't really help!  Wish I could though! Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Michelle D.
on 1/29/08 6:33 am - Keno, OR
VSG on 06/18/07 with
Hello Laurie, I do not run, unless there is a couger or other dangerous beast chasing me but I would recommend that you try wearing compression type shorts or long pants under your running shorts.  My husband and teen daughter run races and compete in track and I always see people wearing under armour and other compression type clothing under their shorts and shirts.  It'll hold you in and keep the skin from rubbing and it should make you feel more comfortable with your shape at the same time!  And girl, don't even worry about it, what people are really thinking is "Damn she is kicking A$$, good for her!!"
Michelle in Oregon   42 years old  - BMI 20.8 - 5' 7" tall and 133 lbs.
married to Fireman John VSG 5/06 @ LapSF  - 6'2" and 190 pounds

I am Thankful for all the Servicemen and Women because

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 7:55 am
I hear you about the arm length - I ended up going to the men's department at Target and bought a couple of shirts there. The sleeves are longer and the shirts are actually longer as well. I love them! As for pants, I have to wear tight pants otherwise I find the fabric rubs my loose skin the wrong way and I get rashes. The nice thing with the shirts I buy is they cover my butt and the way it jiggles when I run , so it works for me!
MaryA
on 1/30/08 10:07 am - Modesto, CA
oh my gosh - i was just searching the internet yesterday looking for something.  My problem is it actually hurts to jog/jump because the loose skin on my stomach "flops" around.  The only thing I can think of is to wear a longer - tighter tank under my t-shirt.  Might help the "flops" -  Just need something that won't roll or move up on my torso when exercising. Oh boy - need to get the tummy tuck! Thanks!
Mary
Begin weight 323/ Current 194
Extended Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift 4/21/08
"Everyone knows how you seem, only some know how you are"
H A.
on 1/31/08 5:23 am - NOR CAL, CA
These have a 7" inseam. I bet if you go to mens you can get a longer leg.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/womens/apparel/bottoms/shorts/pid1001226-Women-s-HeatGear-Ultra-7-Team-Compression-Short/1001226-410
kypdurran
on 2/1/08 4:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Under Armor compression clothing works best for me.  I've tried all the other brands and have found that Under Armor holds up best in the long run and does a better job of wicking than the others.   I buy the compression shorts and sleeveless top (they make them for men and women) in a size smaller than I wear in regular clothing and just wear a regular pair of shorts and t-shirt over the top.   I have yet to get a single rash while wearing them either.

Most Active