The marathon taper...

kypdurran
on 2/1/08 4:27 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I'm doing my final long run tomorrow (a 20 miler) and then next week I'm starting my taper to prepare for the Mardi Gras Marathon in New Orleans on the 24th.   For you other guys that have already completed this dream how far out did you start tapering and how much did you run in the taper weeks?   I'm running 50 - 55 miles per week now and have been for the last 6 weeks or so.  Should I cut back to 40, 30 then 20 on my final week before the marathon?  
Scott William
on 2/1/08 6:02 am

That is a good one because you have run some consistant high milage weeks.  You probably have 20 miles per week over what I did for any of mine.  I think that what you have looks pretty good.  I have felt that I should have tapered one week less than I did.  I did three and felt like I should have done two.  With that being said, I felt great until mile 20 in my last one feeling very under trained.  If that is what you have set for yourself, trust it and go with it.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 2/1/08 6:22 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Did you suck on any gel packs, Accelerade or any of the other high performance drinks on the route?   The gel packs have helped me immensely on my long runs.  I'll usually slurp one down at around 8 miles and again at 14 or so.    They taste like what I would think snot would taste like and they even have a snotty consistancy but I really feel them kick in 15 minutes or so after I take one. 

What do you think a realistic finish time for me would be if my pace for my 6 - 8 mile runs is around 8:45 - 9 minutes?   I'm really hoping to finish in 4 hours but I realize that may be unrealistic because I seriously doubt I could hold a 9 minute pace for 26 miles.  I'll know more tomorrow when I do the 20 miler I guess. :)

I find it morbidly strange that I'm actually looking forward to rolling outta my rack at 5AM to go do this run.   :)  

Linn D.
on 2/2/08 12:43 pm - Missoula, MT
I think my taper after my 20-miler was 2 easier runs (5-6 miles), one speed run and one 10-mile followed by 2 easy, one speed and one and a 6-miler.  The last week was only about 10 miles total.  I followed a training plan I got online and felt well trained and rested. I only used 2 gels during the race, but could have used at least one more.  If you don't have trouble with the runner's trots and you've used them during your long runs, you're probably fine using the sports drinks, but they gave me cramps and the runs.  I didn't know it until it was too late.  Once I switched to water, I did much better, but it added about a half an hour to my time. I got a little emotional right about mile 21 realizing I'd never run that far at one time before, but it was one of those moments when you think, "man, I'm really going to finish this!" I don't think you're goal of 4 hours is out of the question especially if your times are consistent. Have a great time and I can't wait to hear how things go! Linn
Most Active