Which is more effective?

Shelley L.
on 2/25/08 10:27 pm - overland park, KS
I realize ANY form of physical activity is better than nothing, but I often struggle with kicking up the intesity and then not being able to do as much, or is it better to go at a steady pace and do a longer time? I just did a 21 minute mile on the treadmill, with a short burst of a faster pace in the middle. I've been soooo depressed lately, worse than usual, really just having irrational and  just ridiculous thoughts.  I know  exercise can help with depression, how long does it  take for the effects to kick in? :)
H A.
on 2/26/08 2:44 am - NOR CAL, CA
I could feel the effects of exercise immediately even if its just the good feeling that I worked out instead of sitting on the couch. Look for the feeling of accomplishment.

Also after I work out I like to cool down and stretch sort of a cross between yoga and stretch. I can feel the blood racing through me and my skin is ticking with it. I love that feeling.
I focus on how good I feel. This helps me a lot.

When I can I like to take short walks in the sun, in my area we have a little sun today after a big 3 day storm. I get more depressed in the winter months.

The harder I work out the more endorphins. So I really try and get to my max on cardio.

Good luck to you.
Heidi

Shelley L.
on 2/26/08 4:23 am - overland park, KS
Yes, I know what you mean. After I work out, I can feel my pulse EVERYWHERE and sometimes I'm itching.  It did feel pretty good, but I always have some ache that bothers me like today, my left back and leg still hurt.  I'm so tired of being in pain all the time.  I feel like I could do so much more exercise if it weren't for the pain.
camalamb
on 2/26/08 7:45 am - Greenville, SC
Waterfall999 you may want to talk with your surgeon or family Doc. about an antidepressant. My surgeon recommended and prescribed one. Many people going into WLS tend to be somewhat depressed and although it may not be classified as a clinical depression the meds can help they also aide in emotionally stability after surgery because the levels of serotonin in the brain can change with the rapid weight loss hope that helps.  
Most Active