Couch to 5k newbie

~ Lexipro ~
on 3/2/08 7:10 am - SC

Hey gang, I just started the couch to 5k program today and surprised myself by getting through the entire Day 1 routine without skipping or skimping on it. Whew what a feeling! Anyone else doing this program? Any tips or pointers? Thanks for your help!

Lexi -  Size 6-8 and holding.

Linn D.
on 3/2/08 7:20 am - Missoula, MT
Congratulations on beginning this new training program!  We all had to start somewhere, and these sorts of plans are very good.  Do you have a race in mind that you've signed up for?  That's one way to stay motivated. The only thing I'll say is once it becomes relatively easy for you, think about picking up the jog pace.  That's how you'll make your biggest improvements. When I started mine I used the treadmill only.  I did the walk at 4.0 and the jog at 6.3, but I was pretty ambitious.  I ended up with a hamstring injury doing a fast run and am just getting back to being able to run at that pace again. Best of luck to you, and on the days it feels awful (those days will happen) know that they aren't frequent and the next one will feel much better. Linn
~ Lexipro ~
on 3/2/08 7:42 am - SC
I'm starting a bit slower than you (3.2/4.5) because I have NEVER been a runner - even before all this weight gain I had some physical issues, ok my boobs were the size of small African countries and it hurt lol. I am also only 2 months out from surgery and still 225 lbs so I am carrying alot of weight around :) I plan to get through the program at a comfortable pace and then work up the speed once I can do the 5k without stopping or dying. Does that sound ok? There's a race April 26 I want to go to, thats my 4 month surgiversary and near my 36th bday. I think its a good way to celebrate :)

Linn D.
on 3/2/08 7:56 am - Missoula, MT
If it makes you feel any better, I had awfully large breasts as well.  I forgot to mention having a good sports bra is essential.  I often use 2 - a top with a shelf bra and a good motion control bra.  I started running at about 190-200 lbs myself, so I do understand how hard it is to do this carrying the extra weight.  The only difference is that I did some sprints when I was in high school, but never did anything over 200 m. I agree that it's a great way to celebrate!  I also agree that being able to run the whole thing nonstop regardless of the speed is a very good goal.  I never wanted to have to stop and walk during any of my races, and I haven't had to during anything under a half marathon. Linn
~ Lexipro ~
on 3/2/08 8:04 am - SC
I had a reduction so the boobicals are easier to handle now, but I do have a good sports bra, that helps alot still. I don't want re-sag lol Today I could feel the flab flappin around my hips, I think I might wear a shaper under my shorts for better control. Thanks so much for your posts Linn :)

MaryS
on 3/2/08 8:41 am - Long Island, NY
Great job! I thinking having a goal race is a great idea. See if you can find a 5k race that coincidences with your program. I know that races keep me motivated! Best of luck, Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Alayna A.
on 3/2/08 11:39 am - Oakdale, MN
Don't worry about your speed right now, it doesn't matter how fast you go, you're running!! :) I have done the C25K in the past and have just started it up again recently. I am having a hard time staying on track with exercise. Which is a little odd for me considering I was such an exerciser before surgery. Anyways, I began week 3 of the program last week and will go back to day 1 of week 3 tomorrow hopefully. That's the plan anyways. There is a 5K here I want to do on Mothers' Day. I did the same race 4yrs ago when I lost 35lbs on Atkins, then I doubled it back. Are you running on a treadmill? When I first did the C25K 4yrs ago we started out training for time and then when the distances got easier to track we went for distance. We didn't care how fast we ran, just that we went the distance without stopping or walking. Also, everything I have read says running on a treadmill is easier than on the road, so me personally I run with it on a 1.5% incline. I don't know if it actually helps or makes a difference, I like to think it does.
~Alayna
Maintaining for 3-1/2yrs now!!
Pregnant and due February 9, 2012 with first child

Chunky Dunker
on 3/3/08 6:25 am - WA
I started running 2 years ago, at 14 months past surgery. I did it on my own but basically it was the same as the couch to 5K. I went to the track, ran the straights and walked the curves for 2 miles. Then worked up to 3 miles, then ran longer straights and shorter curves, and in 6 weeks could run 3 miles with out stopping.  Racing does help keep me motivated. I like seeing my pile of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons. I've run MANY 5Ks, several 10Ks and am running my first marathon this fall. I heard a quote by an Olympian that went something like this- "You know those days when you don't feel like going to work, but you go anyway? You have to do the same thing with your excercise/training. You have to do it every day whether you want to or not." So, that is what I do. I had surgery 3 years ago, and have lost 170 lbs. I started out at 340 lbs.
~ Lexipro ~
on 3/3/08 7:25 am - SC
Wow amazing success! Congrats! I don't run daily, because I alternate weight training. My muscles are shot, especially my core after all this abuse I've done to myself being obese. Right now I can't handle cardio the same days I do weights, but I am working my way there.

Chris Zane
on 3/3/08 9:54 am

I'm also doing the couch to 5k program now.  I'm in week 5 and so far, so good.  My speed is 3.9/5.2 and I'm going to try to increase it about a tenth of a mph every week or so. I really like it because it is actually doable for me, although I thought it was a pretty big increase going from week 4 (jog 3 minutes) to week 5 (jog 6 minutes).  I did it yesterday though and made it. I guess the only advice is that as soon as you are feeling comfortable at a speed, bump it up a notch. Good luck to you.

Most Active